Wellspring Cabins or Storm King Cabins near Mt. Ranier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone familiar with either of these properties? If so, may I have your opinion of them. Thank you.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM

The owner of Wellspring is a wonderful person, as well as a massage therapist, and I'd have to think she'd want to take very good care of her guests.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM

I have stayed at Wellspring and really like it--it's my favorite place to stay near Mt Rainier. I'm not familiar with Storm King.

Which accommodations at Wellspring are you thinking of booking?
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I am going to be with a group and we have not settled on our choices yet. Do you have a particular cabin you recommend, NWWanderer?
Here is the link to Storm King
http://www.stormkingspa.com/wolf%20cabin.htm

TA has great reviews for Wellspring but nothing on Storm King, which appears to be a newer property. The problem with Wellspring is the limited information on the website, no photos to speak of.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Hi cmcfong---I'm glad to see you are considering a stay at Mt. Rainier. I am afraid that I cannot help with your choice between these two, because as you know I like to stay up at Paradise Inn. But it would not suit your needs as well---Ashford is a better location for your group, with nicer accomodations.

I have heard good things about Wellspring, and the Storm King website looks good too. If I have a chance to check them out this summer, I'll give you a report.

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Ah, I didn't realize Wellspring had a website at all.

I like the newest cabins but they are only for 2 people I believe. The size of your group will probably dictate which cabin or cabins you book but for a group you'll probably need to be in the big lodge (I think it's called Tatoosh).
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Enzian, I would love to hear your opinions. As you know I have a lot of lead time in planning this trip (my group is the proverbial herd of cats). Rainier is one of the top places under consideration. These cabins seem to offer the privacy and comfort which might be more limited at Paradise. Another consideration is food, which you mentioned wasn't a priority there.
NWWanderer, thank you for your response. My group is four couples and we prefer to have separate cabins, so Wellspring is an appealing option for us. I would like to see some photos of the cabins to help us with our choices.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Yeah, you do have to make a leap of faith to stay there. Pretend it's back in the days before websites ;-).

It just has a really special feel to it, I think. But don't expect luxury--it's certainly very nice (especially the newest cabins), but it's more of a get away from it all, quiet and somewhat counter-cultural retreat than a luxury resort.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

I am not good about leaps of faith, NWW, particularly when it involves other people. If it were just DH and me, I would feel less driven about the details. Some of those in the group make this their one big trip and I do try to find something that gives them a high degree of comfort. While we are an active group, usually spending most of our days hiking, in the evening we like to wind down with good food and drink and a nice retreat. If you or Enzian happen to go to Wellspring this summer, would you mind doing a few photos of the place? I would love to see them.

Thank you for the responses.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Sure...when is this trip scheduled to take place? And yes, having been the group planner more times than I care to count, I understand your reluctance ;-).

The Mt Rainier area doesn't have especially great restaurants, unfortunately. There's no restaurant on the property at Wellspring, in case that wasn't clear. Probably the best place to eat in the area is Alexander's Country Inn but it's more good basic fare (with great blackberry pie) than gourmet.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

The trip will be in summer or early fall of 2010. One of the couples stayed at Alexander's earlier this year and was most enthusiastic about it. Can't imagine much better than blackberry pie done right!
We are looking at a number of areas (Lake O'Hara, BC, the Wallowas in Oregon, Glacier NP, and the Katadin area of Maine). You will appreciate that the group dynamic requires a range of choices. We do like cabins and we do like quiet so it sometimes takes quite a while to find just the right place for us.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Alexander's can be hit or miss---I had a truly dreadful meal there. It's the kind of place where they aspire to be "gourmet", but sometimes miss the mark.

Actually the best meals I've had in the area were at the National Park Inn at Longmire. Go figure.

The whole area is not exactly a "destination" in terms of food or lodging amenities, or views from your porch or balcony. (In other words, it's no Lake O'Hara!)

It is all about Mt. Rainier, which is one of the most gorgeous places I know, with wonderful hiking during the short---often too short---summer/fall season. And although I enjoys spending a night or 2 there now and then, I'm glad I live withing driving distance so it's not a necessity if I want to go for a dayhike.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

These days Lake O'Hara is getting a bit out of our budget range...over $500 per night at last check! I love the place, but really, that's a bit much.
Mt. Rainier is one of the most spectacular places I have visited and a return there would be wonderful. Thank you for your suggestions.