Best way to "do" storyland New Hampshire

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to "do" storyland New Hampshire

We are visiting Storyland New hampshire for the first time on a Friday afternoon and continuing on Saturday in July.
I know there are ways to travel the park to avoid long lines somewhat. Has anyone been and can offer tips? We will have 2 excited toddlers and 4 equally excited adults.
Thanks
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Come in the front gates and head left. It seems everyone turns right and heads for the attractions in that direction. But the longest line is always for the antique cars and those are immediately to the left. For some reason we always did these last as we were among the lemings heading right. The antique cars load very slowly so the line is very long.

Another ride that has a long line is the Dr. Somebody or Other's raft ride ( can't remember the real name). Its a take version of the wild raft rides other parks. Long lines if its a hot day. Cinderella's pumpkin coach is another ride that tends to have a long line. You can walk to the top of the hill to get to the castle if you don't want to wait. The train is a great way to get off your feet and give the kids a bit of a break for a little while too.

In general its a really really fun time for little kids. My 13yo has fond memories of Story Land and wants us to take her young cousins there this summer.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bennie for the tips.
We are really looking forward to Storyland, especially me...(Mimi), and Grampi will appreciate shortening some of the lines.!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Hi toppy -

When you need a rest, head over to Dr. Somethings Laboratory. Two levels of nerf ball shooting machines. My kids and grandkids can do this for hours at a time and you can sit on a bench and rest your weary feet. We also brought a lunch and went out to the car to eat it. If your hotel or condo is close, you can leave and go back with a hand stamp. We are now on our fourth generation of family charmed by Storyland. Have fun and take lots of pictures.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:45 PM

The raft ride Bennie mentions really gets you soaked. If you don't do it at the end of the day, make sure everybody takes their shoes and socks off before riding. A ride poncho is a good idea, too.

Are you taking advantage of the free extra afternoon with a late entry? In that case, it is a good idea to go right first late in the day. Everyone has left the toddler playground where the nursery rhymes are represented, and are waiting in line at the "thrill rides" to the left of the entrance. Nice and quiet at the end of the day over there.

Dinner is fun at the Glen Junction (train theme) with kids. But try to get there on the early side, it gets packed. For "fine dining," The Stonehurst Manor has unique atmosphere, brick oven pizzas, and does well with kids.

Have a blast! We have such great memories...

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bennie, Shaz60 and Dreamer.
Yes we are planning the late day beginning so heading to the right that day makes sense, and to the left the next morning.
The nerf ball place sounds like fun.
Thanks also for the Glen Junction recommendation, and also for the advice of a poncho and removal of shoes for the wet ride. I will be sure to plan for that!

We have never been to Storyland, although in the 1980's there was a Storyland near Lake George we went to often that had similar attractions.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM

I have no further hints for Storyland, just want to say that we had a wonderful time there last year with my grandson. It's an older, family-run operation that is in top condition and very family-friendly; it's clear that they take pride in doing things well.

Toddlers, with their unpredicatble whims and preferences, might not be as ride-focused as some adults. We spent a lot of time looking at animals and climbing on things. My grandson's favorite ride was those little individual airplanes that go up and down with controls that the kids can operate, he was thrilled with the power to steer himself up and down; he rode that one 3 times. Go with the flow! And remember that you don't have to stay all 6 of you together every moment.

I thought of one thing: Take the train ride early, it loops all over the park and will give you an overview of things to come and as a general orientation.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Anonymous...yes the train ride for an overview is a good idea. I agree with you. Since it is our first trip, and the kids are little, I am sure the rides won't be as important as some of the other things.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Shaz60 is right on with the nerf ball attraction except being the big kid that I am I had to get involved. It was so much fun.

We went with our girls grandparents too and they all had a ball. Nana and PupPup are gone now so I am glad we went when we had the chance.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes Grampi will love that attraction! He is so excited he rented a minivan to get us all there.
Thanks everyone for all the ideas and suggestions!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Wow does this take me back....my parents brought me to Storyland and Six Gun City when I was 4 and I replayed the same trip with my kids when they were toddlers (almost replicated all the photos, stand in front of the igloo, peek out of the big shoe, post in the wild west schoolhouse, etc)

You will have a ball !! Fun for the toddlers and memories of childhood for adults.