Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best way to bypass Kansas City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-to-bypass-kansas-city-423208/)

Richard_Davies Sep 1st, 2008 03:03 PM

Best way to bypass Kansas City

What's the best route to bypass Kansas City driving north to south on I35? I435 on the east side looks promising, but it appears there is a possibility to the west as well using I635. Any experience and/or opinions?

Thanks

happytourist Sep 1st, 2008 06:49 PM

When we're coming south, we always take the western loop through the Kansas side. The traffic is usually less and we like to stop at Cabela's right at the I-70 interchange. Going north it depends on whether we're going to Omaha or Des Moines.

beentheretwice Sep 2nd, 2008 04:43 AM

Obviously, it is a shorter drive to stay on the east side and follow 435 south. 635 is still fairly close to the city, and depending on the time you drive through the area you will hit some rush hour traffic.

6 of one, half a dozen of another: Distance, or speed?

I'm local, and I'd stay on the east side. There's a Bass Pro Shop in Independence. ;-)

Keith Sep 2nd, 2008 04:52 AM

From 7-9AM & 4-6PM I would bypass KC on the west side. The rest of the time I just take I-35.

beentheretwice, there is also a Bass Pro right next to I-35 in Olathe and a Cabela's right next to I-636 in KCK:-)

Keith

Keith Sep 2nd, 2008 04:53 AM

Make that I-635.

Keith

hulajake Sep 2nd, 2008 02:17 PM

Agree with Keith I635 will trick you if you hit rushhour going south it doesn't seem to get heavy till you passed I70.
However if you stay on I35 you can find some of the best bbq in the country not far away.

apersuader65 Nov 5th, 2008 06:31 AM

Try I-435 West. Enters KS north of the airport, no real traffic until you start getting close to the Speedway.

jeff001 Nov 5th, 2008 07:41 AM

Go to maps.google.com . It will give you a driving map with a "drag to change route" option that lets you compare the mileage and driving time of your various options.

dmdevl Nov 5th, 2008 09:50 AM

I also agree with Keith - no need to bypass outside of rush hour. Just drive on through. There is a view of Union Station and Downtown from I-35. I think you can even see the horse statue on the hill.

Paytons_Grandma Jan 7th, 2009 04:00 PM

We live 2 hrs south of KC. When we go to the airport, we always take I-435 on the West side, never seems to be as much traffic and I-35 or I-635. Several of my family live in Shawnee, so I know the west side much better and it just seems easier. It's been several years since we've done much on the east side.

Keith Feb 16th, 2011 12:55 PM

I forget how to report this spam. It isn't obvious in the Contact Us options or the FAQ.

HappyTrvlr Feb 16th, 2011 02:29 PM

You click on the yellow traingle above by the title and "Missouri" and send a message to Fodors staff.

Keith Feb 17th, 2011 07:52 AM

Thanks, happyTrvlr. It worked!

musicfan Feb 17th, 2011 08:34 AM

dmdevel is right...as you are heading south on I-35, Union Station, Liberty Memorial, etc. will be visible on your left. Before you get there, however, you will see, also on your left, our stunning new Performing Arts Center which is scheduled to open this fall. It's a VERY dramatic building.

And I just realized...this thread is over two years old! D'oh! The spammer must have brought it to the front page.

brycecordry Oct 20th, 2012 06:50 PM

Bypassing to the west is not very efficient, as I-35 goes northeast/southwest, so the best option is to use I-435 south at exit 12A. If you dont mind a few stoplights and intersections, you can use exit 17 and take Highway 291 South (turn left), which eventually turns into I-470, to I-435. However, if you wish to get at I-70 West (towards topeka), then take exit 16 at Highway 152 West (turn right), and then take that to the SECOND I-435 junction, where you can take the second right onto I-435 South, and get there faster. Use I-435 South at exit 12A to get to I-70 east (toward st louis).