Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best way from Key West to Miami International Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-from-key-west-to-miami-international-airport-695404/)

NLspirit Apr 9th, 2007 07:31 PM

Best way from Key West to Miami International Airport

We'll be visiting Key West for 4 nights late April and are trying to decide on the best form of transportation to and from the area. Being unfamiliar with both the airport and surrounds and realising we'll be feeling pretty tired by that time we're thinking of a van shuttle to Key West. However we're unsure of the best way to return to MIA to catch a flight which leaves at 1:30 am. Should we take a morning shuttle or should we consider the new ferry service? I'm concerned that the ferry, which is scheduled to arrive at the seaquarium at around 9:00 pm, may be late and it will take us another hour by taxi to MIA. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

mark99 Apr 9th, 2007 11:58 PM

Wow...this might be personal pref....but I'm not sure that I would want to be without a rental.

Lots of things in and around key west that you might want to stop along the way or travel a few miles to another key for dinner.

ANy traffic problems and the keys are notorious for traffic probs...I would not want to be stuck in a shuttle bus with a bunch of sweaty people!

Rent a car at MIA or take a flight to the keys. DOnt forget MIA to Key West is at least 3 hours without heavy traffic.

mary1007 Apr 10th, 2007 05:41 AM

I totally agree with the previous post!

JC01 Apr 10th, 2007 05:50 AM

Hello, I agree with the others here however, I am not so sure if it is really that necessary to have a rental. We just spent 5 days in Key west and while the driving was great, it gives you the option to stop on the way and take a break, we did not really need a car in Key West. We hired bycicles for 4 days and travelled around on bikes. We parked the car in the car park of the hotel and then off we went cycling. It was perfectly fine.

I am no familiar with the ferry service, I only know of a passanger ferry. Taxi ride can be expensive.. so overall it sounds like that you would be better off having your own car, gives you more flexibilty.

GoTravel Apr 10th, 2007 06:40 AM

When you land in MIA, rent a car and drive to Key West. Drop the car off at the airport and take a cab to your hotel.

When you go to leave Key West, rent a car at the Key West Airport and drive it to MIA and drop off.

It will take you a minimum of four hours to make the trip under the best circumstances. I'd plan on eight for the way back stopping for dinner in Islamorada or Miami.

There are no rental drop off fees in Florida so absolutely no reason to keep a rental car there.

NLspirit Apr 10th, 2007 07:23 PM

Many thanks! We're now thinking we'll fly to and from Key West. It'll mean we won't get to see the area as much as we'd like but perhaps that means a return trip! Again your comments are much appreciated. It often helps to have someone who has been there offer suggestions.

sobster Apr 10th, 2007 08:19 PM

Well, we've driven and we've flown. Ya better fly. rent a car at KW apt. It takes 30 minutess to fly and 3+ hours to drive.

mark99 Apr 10th, 2007 08:45 PM

Trust me...that is a good choice...there is not that much to see between Miami and Key West. Fly there and relax. The Keys have some sort of magic that just melts away the worlds troubles! You will forget that you are even in the US.