Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Washington D.C. night monument tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-washington-d-c-night-monument-tour-310081/)

SanDiegoSue Feb 23rd, 2008 12:27 PM

Best Washington D.C. night monument tour

I had originally posted this request in what I thought was the Washington D.C. site, but I guess it isn't.
In any event, can anyone tell me which of the night monument tours in Washington D.C. is best...and why?
Thanks very much
Sue

SanDiegoSue Feb 23rd, 2008 01:43 PM

Anyone????

mary1007 Feb 23rd, 2008 02:57 PM

Since you haven't gotten any first hand advise yet, I will give you the advise that the concierge at out hotel the Fairmont gave us on our recent trip to DC. We never got around to do the tour but wanted to.
He said that the Trolley tour was great and very laid back. The guides are funny and everyone has a great time. He also recommended The Monuments by Moonlight tours, this one was a bit longer and on a big bus but also very good. Also a little more $.

It also depends a lot on where you are staying. For us the Trolley was easier to reach than the Moonlight.

Have fun, we heard that this was really worth it.

traveler100 Feb 23rd, 2008 03:09 PM

Hi Sue,

I can't tell you if it's "the best" because it was the only one I went on but my mom and I great enjoyed "Monuments By Moonlight". The windows allowed you to see from anyplace you sat, and there was ample time at the places we got out. Our driver was a former writer for National Geographic.

I highly recommend a night time monument tour whichever one you decide on. There is something about seeing them all lit up at night that is especially moving.

jewelhawg Feb 23rd, 2008 04:22 PM

The Monuments By Moonlight is the Trolly Tour. It's definitely the one you want to do. I wouldn't do the bus tour. It just seems easier getting on and off the trolley.

Here's my response to another fodorite's questions regarding the night tours in D.C.:

I've taken the Monuments by Moonlight Night Tour twice and it's the best. It's a 2.5 hour tour and stops at various monuments. I enjoyed this more that just seeing the monuments during the day. There's something special about seeing them lit up at night. While touring at night, we saw regular bus tours and we commented how we were glad we were on the trolley.

The trolley windows open and close easily. You are able to take pictures while in the trolley, too.

You can get more information at www.historictours.com/washington

coldwar27 Feb 23rd, 2008 05:10 PM

I did the Trolley Tour by Moonlight last March. We had horrendous weather (lots of rain and it was cold) but our tour guide was excellent. He kept everyone's spirits up and I really enjoyed the tour. I am sure it is even better with good weather and I would definitely do that tour again.

TrvlMaven Feb 23rd, 2008 07:38 PM

I don't know about the moonlight tours--but I do know that it is a beautiful time to see the monuments--especially the Vietnam Veteran's Memeorial--folks lay mementos at the base of the wall all day long, and seeing the collection at the end of the day is truly heartbreaking. (Everything left is collected and catalogued by the Smithsonian) Each of the monuments take on a "glow" that can only be appreciated at dusk/evening. As they are lit from within--when you see them at night--the statues within really stand out--not something seen during the day. I will always cherish sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Monument looking out at the reflection pond thinking "I have a dream. . ."

SanDiegoSue Feb 25th, 2008 09:00 AM

Thank you SO much everyone. Sounds like we're reserving the Monuments by Moonlight trolley tour.
Sue