Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best time to visit NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-time-to-visit-nyc-500644/)

tsl Feb 2nd, 2005 01:10 PM

Best time to visit NYC?

We have never been to NYC and would like to take our children to see the Statue of Liberty and other highlights? Is it best to go in the summer since the weather is good? or are the crowds better in the spring? Also any suggestions on places to stay with kids?

nytraveler Feb 2nd, 2005 03:13 PM

If you search above you will find that there have been about 25 threads on these very topics in the last few weeks.

Patrick Feb 2nd, 2005 04:36 PM

I can only answer the first two of your questions. Think about what you have asked.

"Is it best to go in the summer since the weather is good?" If good weather is important to you, then yes. If good weather is not important to you, then no. Is there any other possible answer to this question?

"are the crowds better in the spring?"
My experience is that crowd behavior is pretty much the same all the time. There is little reason to think the crowds will act any better in the spring than they will in the summer, fall, or winter.

Sorry, if this seems rude and blunt, but I really can't imagine what else you'd want someone to answer?

SandyBrit Feb 2nd, 2005 04:50 PM

tsl - If you do not like hot humid days do not visit in the summer. Spring weather can be very nice and that would be my choice.

To get more replies on where to stay tell us a bit more - what is your budget, age of your children.

Sandy

sks Feb 2nd, 2005 04:53 PM

Gosh, Patrick, I don't know, but maybe - just maybe tsl was inquiring about whether or not the crowds are less in the spring - not better behaved.

Patrick Feb 2nd, 2005 05:15 PM

Better crowds means "smaller crowds". Gosh, I have a lot to learn about the English language.

Patrick Feb 2nd, 2005 05:15 PM

Better crowds means "smaller crowds". Gosh, I have a lot to learn about the English language?

4khansen Feb 3rd, 2005 04:39 AM

We went in the summer and I did not think the crowds were too out of hand(large or misbehaved for that matter) at all. This was late July early August. The weather was excellent, but being from the midwest where hot and humid is 95-100, compared to a coastal city with 80-95 degrees its all relative.

As long as you avoid any large "NYC Event" I think summer is an excellent choice.

tskobo Feb 3rd, 2005 11:26 AM

Mid-september. nuff said.

atilla Feb 3rd, 2005 11:35 AM

I bet tsl is scared to reply now with some of the answers given here.

tsl, it is all relative truthfully. I find NY to be very humid but I live in a dry climate. I was in NY last May and the weather was beautiful (75-80°F, 90% humidity)! I think mid-summer (July, August) would have been too hot and humid for me.

As far as crowds go, NY is almost always a busy place to be. We had good luck in May with most of the places that required you to wait in line. I have heard that other travellers had to wait in longer lines than we did if they were there during summer months, I don't know how consistent this is though.

For example, we took the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty at around 1:00 pm on a Tuesday afternoon and only had to wait about 30 minutes to board after purchasing our tickets. I have heard others say they waited for an hour or more during the summer months. Hope this helps.

kflodin Feb 5th, 2005 02:47 PM

I live here. Avoid summer. A) it can be ridiculously hot, dirty and humid. B) so many NYers are not here, honestly you won't get an authentic feel of the place, IMHO. I'd vote fall. early October is drop-dead fabulous for walking and the city is hopping with a wonderful electricity. Spring is next best. Winter can be dreary and the holidays are ridiculously busy.

nytraveler Feb 5th, 2005 05:14 PM

To me, summer is the worst time to go - July and August can be incredibly hot - so walking is unpleasant (and NYC is definitely a city for walking) and although the subway cars have AC the stations do not - and after the first real hot spell the stations become little hellholes and stay that way until the fall.

May'/June usually has good weather - as has late September and October.

NYC is crowded all the time - but if you avoid any special event crowds are manageable. (What many people fail to realize is that although the legal population of the city itself is 8 million - when you add in illegals and transients it's more like 9/10 million - and since daily commuters come from the entire suburban area - you're really dealing with a mass of about 20 millllion people in the area.)

alexg Feb 5th, 2005 06:27 PM

We prefer May or week after Christmas. May, if you want comfortable walking weather. Christmas in NYC can be great experience. Lights, store displays, tree and ice skating at Rockefeller Center, etc...

LilMsFoodie Feb 6th, 2005 01:30 AM

Mid May, early October or December, after Rockefeller Tree is lit. These recs are made on the basis of weather, the beauty of Central Park, the ability to sit outside in the Village (not in December of course)and just my favorite times in New York.
LMF

francescarinaldi Feb 6th, 2005 04:56 AM

I love the fall, but keep in mind that this is a more expensive time of year, too. Hotels seem to run their specials in Jan/Feb or July/August when the weather CAN be miserable. Its still one of the greatest places on earth, and I am sure you will have a great time no matter when you go.

tsl Feb 6th, 2005 11:21 AM

Thanks for your help. (Even to Patrick - pointing out that my question wasn't phrased so well.) :( I'm glad most people understood what I meant. I think that we will try spring or early fall. Our kids are 10 and 7 to answer Sandybrit.

Donna1185 Feb 6th, 2005 11:25 AM

Mid-Sept thru Mid-October....

SandyBrit Feb 7th, 2005 05:32 PM

tsl - Glad you are still with us and not put off.

Take a look at a recent thread by rosegirl "Where to stay in NYC with kids" . I topped it for you previously.

Not knowing your budget I'll start you out with a couple of suggestions:

The Milburn hotel which is a very affordable and family friendly www.milburnhotel.com located Upper West Side. Have stayed there and would do so again.

Embassy Suites at 102 North End Street is located on the waterfront, Lower Manhattan and gets excellent reviews on www.tripadvisor - breakfast included. Have not stayed there as yet but it is on my short list of NYC hotels and may do this later this year.

Look at www.affinia.com - 9 hotels in NYC and they have suites. Good reviews at trip advisor.

Your children will certainly enjoy NYC so much to do and see.

Sandy

tsl Feb 8th, 2005 07:09 AM

Thanks, Sandy, for your help - I liked your hotel suggestions. Will be looking into it soon.

gingerhead Feb 8th, 2005 12:32 PM

spring is soooo much nicer in nyc. summer is hot, the sidewalks turn into griddles. go in may and enjoy!