Best time to see Yellowstone & avoid crowds

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:00 PM
Vicki Robinson

Best time to see Yellowstone & avoid crowds

My husband retired last year & we are thinking about visiting the Yellowstone area for about a month later this year-perhaps August or September time period. We really dont want to run into snow or crowds.Any suggestions...Thanks, Vicki

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 09:12 PM
Cynthia

Vicki,
Good choice, you and your husband will love Yellowstone. It is one of the most beautiful areas in the country. Yellowstome still has some snow and low temperatures well into May. Also the peak tourist season usually falls between June and September. I suggest that you go to WWW.NPS.GOV Click on the VISIT YOUR PARKS icon. Find Yellowstone on the drop down menu and click GO. The site will give you all kinds of useful information about the park, the weather, activities, you can make reservations (which I recommend since the campsites fill up fast!) and you can even download a trip planner. I hope this helps you out! Good Luck and have fun!!
Cynthia

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:38 AM
howard

We flew to Yellowstone on the day after Labor Day one early September. There certainly were other tourists there, but the big crowds were gone. Yellowstone and the Tetons are beautiful that time of the year as the aspen leaves turn yellow. It does start to get chilly in the evening and early morning, and they even get snow sometimes. (Our flight home from Jackson was delayed five hours because of a snowstorm on a mid-September day!) But, don't let that scare you off! It's great there that time of the year.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 11:50 AM
gary

Best time is in September after Labor Day. Tourists are gone and weather is usually very good. Beautiful time of the year in YPark.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Bob

Vicki:
I spent a 7 day fly-fishing trip in and around Yellowstone during mid-September. The weather was great - upper 70's during the day, 40's -50's at night. Yellowstone Park had very light traffic. A park ranger said that mid-September was probably the best time of year to come. I agree.
Have a great trip and bring a lot of film.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 05:40 AM
GOL

Vicki,
Agree with others: Mid September, after school starts. When we were there, Mammoth Hot Springs hotel closed the last weekend of Sept.

Another suggestion: go to www.yellowstone-natl-park.com and read the chat area. Post further questions. This site is the absolute best for Yellowstone info; many people post wolf sightings; daily guyser updates (if there are any unusual ones) and offer good advice.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Dick

Vicki, we four enjoyed Yellowstone in late August early Sept and had a great time. Crowds were gone. Also the mating season for elk and bison are underway and this is when animals may be at their best in regards to appearance and of course dense groups. Be sure to get up early some morning and get out to see the park come "alive". Have a great trip. Don't think you can go wrong.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Bob Brown

In early September there are still quite a few people in Yellowstone. If you want to avoid crowds, go before Memorial Day. The only problem is that a full complement of Park Rangers are not on board yet and some of the roads are closed. I have been there 3 times in early September and thought there were still many people around. I would say that if you want a quieter time of it, go after September 15 or before June 10th.