Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best time to drive from CT to DC to avoid traffic (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-time-to-drive-from-ct-to-dc-to-avoid-traffic-1703794/)

Moebo Dec 13th, 2021 05:21 PM

Best time to drive from CT to DC to avoid traffic

Hi all! I'm driving to Wreaths Across America this weekend (December 17-19). Can anyone give me the best time to leave CT and route Friday so I hit the least amount of traffic?
Thanks!

RoamsAround Dec 14th, 2021 05:05 AM

You don't say where in CT you'll be starting from nor what time of day/night you'll be leaving. Those factors will have a significant effect on the traffic patterns you'll encounter along the way. For what it is worth, if your starting point is near the Hatford area the most direct route (essentially I-95) should take around 6 hours but, depending on your departure time, you'd have to potentially contend with rush hour traffic approaching NYC, Philly or Baltimore If you take a more westerly route (a combination of I-84, I-287 and other Interstates that bypass the bigger cities> the drawback is that routing will add at least another hour drive time. That could mean your overall time in the car won't be significantly different.

My suggestion, is you check out the route options using Google Maps or Mapquest to see which one works best for you. I'd choose the shortest route (probably I-95) and then time your departure so you avoid approaching "inbound NYC" during the morning rush hour. After that you should be good all the way to Washington, DC. Since DC is your destination it will be difficult to avoid traffic once you get there.

Lastly, since you'll be returning home on a Sunday, traffic shouldn't be a major concern anywhere along your route.

Of course, any of the above will be dependent on weather conditions as heavy rains or even snow can cause havoc anywhere along any route. The same applies if you encounter a major traffic accident which no one can predict.

Have a safe trip.

Moebo Dec 14th, 2021 05:36 AM

Thank you so much! Yes, I have no idea what time to leave CT (Waterbury area), so looking for advice rather than say a specific time :)
Take care and thanks again!

Christina Dec 15th, 2021 09:01 AM

I've driven that route several times, I never go down I95 as I absolutely hate it. I go west from Waterbury through NY to Scranton then south on I81 to Harrisburg then south on I83 to Baltimore, then go west go get to DC area.l it varies how I do that, actually, generally, I go west on I70 just a bit then use route 29 into DC metro area (Silver Spring).

There isn't a real good time to avoid traffic as no matter whatyou do, there will be a lot of it in Baltimore metro area and DC metro area from maybe 3 pm onwards. Should be 5-6 hrs until you hit them, so leaving at 7 am would be best or something like that.

oldemalloy Dec 15th, 2021 02:50 PM

We found that if we left our home in central CT at 4 am we would get through NYC before traffic on 95 got bad. That said there were always bottlenecks somewhere, Newark, Baltimore, DC, etc.

WAZE is your friend. download it and check and see where there are problems and ask for alternate routes.

J62 Dec 16th, 2021 02:28 AM

From Waterbury I'd go either of these routes:

I84 to the NYS Thruway (I87) to the Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike (I95).
It's about 30 more miles than staying on I95 through NYC, but that way you miss the I95 corridor through NYC.

or
I84 to 684, across the Tappan Zee (I287), to the GSP. - a bit shorter distance than the route above.

As for timing, if you left by 7 or 8am you'd avoid the heaviest traffic in NJ.

I too like Waze, but one problem with just relying on Waze or google maps is that it can send you on a route that looks fine at 7am but would be backed up later, hence the importance of big picture up front route planning that you are doing.

tomfuller Dec 16th, 2021 06:20 AM

Amtrak 141 leaves Meridian CT at 6:53AM. You can be at DC Union Station between 1:08 and 2PM. It shows at 70% full right now. Let Amtrak do the driving. Snow and nasty weather is coming along your route.

k_marie Dec 16th, 2021 07:19 AM

We have found that WAZE is useful with real time traffic advice. It has directed us off the highway and onto city streets to avoid traffic tie-ups. Once, in Maryland, we followed the directions to turn into a parking lot to make a U-turn, and make an exit. Who knew! We were saved miles of aggravation.

tomfuller Dec 19th, 2021 07:11 AM

Please give us a trip report soon after you get back home.

TDudette Dec 29th, 2021 05:57 AM

How did it go, Moebo?