Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best time of year to visit Napa Valley or Sonoma?

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are starting to plan a trip to CA to visit friends in the bay area. We'd like to take a side trip to visit either Sonoma or Napa Valley for 2-3 days. Our schedule is pretty open, but we're thinking of going in the fall (anytime from late August to early November). Is this a good time of year to visit? When is the grape harvest? Would we want to be there for that? If you had to pick a 2 week window of your favorite time of year in the area, when would it be? We'd like to visit wineries for tastings, of course!, maybe do some bike riding, eat some great food and just generally relax. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Based on your window form Late August to Early November, my favorite time would be late September or the first week of October. The weather in San Francisco should be great then, and the summer heat will be gone in Napa and Sonoma by then. Early Fall is probably the very best season in Northern California - but there is still a very slight possibility of poor weather - this last October we had some really strong storms come through the area about mid month.

For the harvest times, Napa and Sonoma will be in full swing normally from late August into October. Harvest time is a special time to visit the wine country. Just a note last year the harvest was very early and most was complete before the end of September.

Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM

agree with late September to early Ocotber. It's glorious here then!Reserve early as that will be around the crush time and very busy.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Yes! yes! yes! to what montyw and PamSF
advised for weather late Sept.-mid Oct.
You cannot really plan around "the crush" here, as monty said it was quite early this year. Who knows with
Mother Nature!
R5
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Kal

Any time but the day after T'giving.

The local festival there attracts all sorts of miscreants from the Bay Area, Marin and the Sac Valley areas.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM

"Crush time" "the crush" -- I just love it when you gals talk dirty.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Kal

B'man,
Can one be a "lush with a crush"?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:33 AM

I agree with the other postings...the last week of September or early October. The first time I went to Napa was the last week of September in 2001 and it was glorious. You can almost smell the crushed grapes in the air during that time. Since then, I have returned in mid October, Spring and summer and my favorite time is definetely during "Harvest". Unfortunately, that is everyone's favorite time, so if you are going to do it during that time period, I would book a place as soon as you can.
You will have a wonderful TIME! (Calistoga is where I got engaged so Napa holds a special place in my heart).cheers!
PS. Another pretty time to go is actually now, during the mustard festival. There is a lot going on and mustard blooms everywhere. Spring is gorgous if you like flowers.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM

Our anniversary is late Sept and we can NEVER get a room at that time. There is a golf tournament and the crush going on. I'd say mid Oct.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:59 AM

Is August just too hot?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:23 AM

If it's and 80 degree day it's great but if it's a 100 degree day it's awful. Hard to predict, but I'd say it would most probably be pretty warm in August.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:05 AM

I will be there this October for the nike womens marathon so am GLAD to hear that is a great time for weather. I will be planning another trip to San Francisco after that. Can anyone tell me how the weather is during Christmas time or April or June. Which would month of these three would you pick.. if any?
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Any idea what the weather is like in the evening in August? We are going mid August and am wondering if it will be cool in the evening when we go to dinner.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:19 PM

It should stay fairly warm during the night in August, last year it was still hot at 11PM during some of the hot spells, it usually cools down somewhat at night though. It is getting really hot lately and August is typically one of the hotter months.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:14 AM

You've received excellent advice about when to go, so I won't comment on that, only to say I agree. The "crush" is unpredictible. It depends on mother nature.

Keep in mind, even when our weather gets "hot", we have very low humidity. And the evenings can be comfortable, or have a slight chill. Whenever visiting the bay area (wine country included) a light sweater or jacket is always advised.

As far as 2 week window to see the crush, you'd be pretty safe the first two weeks of Sept to see some action. Lately the crush seems to be happening earlier and earlier each year.

Have a wonderful time! And, you mentioned either Napa or Sonoma. DEFINITELY do Sonoma. It's much more scenic....outstanding wines too! Napa has wineries basically off two roads, Rt 29, or the Silverado Trail. Sonoma is more spread out, but the winding roads through the mountains and vineyards will have you feel like you are lost in Europe somewhere. I choose Sonoma over Napa anyday for scenery (as well as wine) but don't get me wrong, I love Napa wines too. (I'm from a wine family, I'd be in trouble if I didn't suggest both) but, given a choice, I'd choose Sonoma. Esp in the fall, it's gorgeous!

Have a great time, you've received some great advice! Enjoy yourselves!!!
Andiamo
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:24 AM

Tammy63,
I posted a separate post for you under your name in the California section to help answer your questions.

Andiamo
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Regarding when to visit: We have visited many different times of year and love the Wine Country in November, March, April, and even May. You have nice weather (though you are likely to get some rain, particularly in November), the crowds are minimal (particularly during the week), and you get much more personalized attention at the wineries. If you are really hard core, you can go in December, January, and Feb. It will likely be rainy, but you will almost certainly be alone at the wineries during the week, and will even find smaller crowds on the weekends. Temps are moderate (a cold winter day out there is 50 degerees, lol).

Regarding Napa or Sonoma: We DEFINITELY prefer Sonoma county over Napa county. In Sonoma, you are much more likely to find small wineries that are family owned and are much more likely to meet the owner and/or winemaker. Sonoma is much more scenic and has a much more diverse topography. We found Napa to have a corporate feel (with carefully measured pours and all) and not nearly as friendly and warm, especially if you don't look like you are dripping with money to spend. If you are into the wine snobbery, then Napa is for you (though there are some places in Napa that don't fit this bill). At the small wineries in Sonoma, we were made to feel like family. In Napa, we often felt like we were either interrupting someone from doing something "more important" (in the off months) or we felt like cattle herding through the winery with tasting bars that were 3 or 4 deep with other tourists.

Anyway, go to Sonoma in November - May and you'll have a great time!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Kal

I find I have more fun when they have wine in NV/SV.
They ran out a few times and it got pretty ugly.

Just don't come around Thanksgiving time. A lot of drunks are found wandering around trying to sing.
www.worldisround.com/articles/96984/photo54.html
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Now. Now is the best time. Just returned from Younville, Oakville, all of it. I like wine country before and during harvest. Don't forget the olives, mustards and other bounty to be had in the Sonoma/Napa areas.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Kal

OLIVES, MUSTARD AND WINE, OH MY....OLIVES, MUSTARD AND WINE, OH MY....OLIVES, MUSTARD AND WINE, OH MY....

I don't know if we'll be able to wait until Nov to go back down there for a few days.
You are right, feghie. Abs-a-tootly great weather!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -