Best time of year to travel across southern states

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling across the Southern States starting in Rhode Island to end up in San Diago, CA. Anybody sharing this experience, we would appreciate your input on Routs and points of interest. We will be traveling by Motor Home.

Thanks
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM

That is a great opportunity to have, and I think the planning of your trip will be far more fun than the actual path you take.

This is a rare situation where you would be better off NOT submitting to the board for broad route advice. Instead, YOU choose two or three things that you have always wanted to do or see along the way. With just a few dots on that map it will become very clear that there aren't as many remaining route choices as you initially perceived.

If there are just two of you, take turns each picking ONE spot you want to visit... and then simply connect the dots.

Return here to Fodors only for information regarding spots you've already selected.

Have fun along the way!

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 05:01 AM

Wow, there is a lot to see on that trip. How long do you have to do this?

I would think I would start out in Rhode Island in the fall. Maybe late September or early October. That would be a great time to see the leaf colors and experience fall in New England. Plus as you head south, it won't be quite so hot. Florida and Texas can be brutally hot and humid in the summer months. That will be some of the busiest time in those areas, but kids will be back in school so it won't be too bad.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Or spring. Spring in the south is beautiful with the azaelas blooming the wisteria, the mountain laurel and the dogwoods. Like fall, it isn't too hot the kids will still be in school so the campgrounds won't be too crowded.

We camped at Vogel State Park (North Georgia) one year in April. It was cool, but great trout fishing and hiking weather.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 05:44 AM

From Florida to Arizonia avoid the summer months for both the weather and crowds. As to the route what are you interested in? Museums, cities, hiking, theme parks, National Parks??? Once you decide what you would like to see a good spot to get info on the best routes is rv.net. For reccomendations on places to overnight go to rvparkreviews.com. Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM

You don't mention when you are travelling but with a motorhome, I would do a loop and try to hit as many national parks as I could.

We did this trip from Ohio many years ago and started north to Chicago and then took 90(we wanted to see Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore--loved camping at Custer State Park). Headed to the Tetons--had our most beautiful ever campsite here, but they do not allow motorhomes there. It had 3 campsites right on a peninsula looking over the lake.

We then drove down to Rocky Mountain National Park and headed across 70 to Kansas and then back to Ohio--The drive from Denver to Ohio is long and boring.

Looks like you could head farther south. Stop at Shenandoah, the Smokies, head across 40 to San Diego, stopping at the Grand Canyon, and then follow the more southern route home--sure wouldn't consider this route in the summer though.

Would sure be fun to plan this.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, for your response, very
helpful. Has anyone tried doing this trip in winter say January-March, appreciate your input.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Well, we've gotten stuck or stranded in Dallas, Atlanta, and mid North Carolina all in January with horrible ice storms. That isn't totally expected, but certainly not unexpected either.

I'd prefer to wait at least until March if I could -- or April.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 04:13 AM

Driving an RV from Rhode Island over the Appalachians in January doesn't sound like much fun. Maybe if you flew down to Georgia or Florida and picked up the RV there (assuming you are renting) that would work very well.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Personally I would not try it January-March. In the north you could very well hit snow, and in the southeast there is the distinct possibility of snow or ice. And we Southerners do not react well to frozen precipitation, particularly when we're driving. Seriously, driving an RV in the Smokies with snow or ice does not sound like my idea of fun, and the cities wouldn't be much better. It's not certain that you would hit that sort of weather, but as other posters have said, certainly not outside the realm of possibility.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM

I think I would also go for Springtime. Not too hot yet and you could time it to see all the Azaleas in Gulf States, Blue Bonnets in Texas, Wild flowers in the desert...

Sounds like fun!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Spring or fall.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM

I think fall would be the best time for this type of trip. We travel the States, mainly in October and find the weather just great.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM

This is not a trip you want to do in the summer (hot as hell) or winter (you can still get ice storms that will really make a mess of plans).

I reco either spring or fall - preferably the former if possible.

Agree to pick several major must sees - then link them together.