Best Time of Year-Portland Visit

Jul 21st, 2001, 04:05 PM
Peggy

Best Time of Year-Portland Visit

I've never been as far up northwest as Portland..am wondering if someone who lives there or has visited frequently whether October would be nice - as in possibly seeing some fall foliage? or if August or Sept. would be better? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jul 21st, 2001, 06:34 PM
Glenda

The leaves can be beautiful in October, but we're also likely to get rain at that time, so it can be miserable. When we get those sunny October days they are wonderful, but no one can predict when or if they might occur. We have had three almost perfect Augusts in a row and September is also usually a pretty good month, especially at the coast. We usually do not get much cold weather until October so other than at the higher locations the leaves don't turn until then. Remember we have many evergreen trees mixed with deciduous so we don't have the brilliance that New England has, but the combination is lovely.

Jul 21st, 2001, 09:59 PM
xxx

Coming from California, I've been quite impressed by the fall leaves that I've seen on October visits to Portland. Yes, it can rain that time of year (when doesn't it rain in Portland?), but it doesn't make for a bad vacation. Such a pretty city and actually a lot for visitors to see and do.

Search this Thread