Reload this Page >

Best time of year for Detroit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:53 PM
TONYA

Airfare from LAX to Detroit just went down to $178 roundtrip. When is a good time to go? Is September or October okay?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:01 PM
JA

It is a great time of year! may be a little chilly compared to what you're used to, and I would say September over October....it can begin to snow in October some years. Unless you'd like to see snow. But, the trees are beautiful that time of year. My in laws live there, and we went last week of September this past year, and it was perfect weather. Jeans & sweater. Light jacket at night. I would say go!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Maggi

The last five years or more we have had wonderful weather right up until the end of October. My suggestion would be to come at the end of September to catch the best of the fall colors.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:56 PM
nogo

Why does anyone who doesn't have to want to go to Detroit?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Maggi

Just as any other city, Detroit has its good sides and bad. But as a lifetime resident of Michigan (we live in the suburbs) I feel it is a good place to live and very nice to visit. I have had many visitors from Europe who were extremely surprised at what a beautiful state we have (they believed the bad press too, nogo.)

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Rod

Are you SERIOUS Tonya?
You're going to fly to Detroit from LA simply because the fare is $178?

Have you ever read ANYTHING about Detroit?
It is easily one of the 3 worst cities for tourists of the USA's 30 largest metro areas.
Have you ever been to Bakersfield, Fresno, Blythe, Lancaster etc? They have almost as much tourist draw as Detroit.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:05 AM
xxx

My hubby was born and raised in this town and he was amazed that anyone would spend money to visit this dump. He has vowed to never return, and recently told me "this place should have a handle on so it can flushed". Also, McNamara airport is one of the worst in the country...for service to to your luggage arriving with all your contents. I read this on www.planetfeedback.com. Well go and have fun and then write a trip report to enlighten others about what a neat place this is.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Paul

Detroit, it's suburbs, and the great "Up North" have plenty to offer!

Different strokes for different folks - we have all seen that many of times here. {I am still trying to understand the draw of Disney. *eg* }

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Native

Has anyone thought that since TONYA apparently lives in the LA area, Detroit might look good to her?

Might just make sense. I have not been to Detroit, but I have been to Los Angeles and the Southern California area. Hmmmmmm...Detroit might not be so bad after all.

Native

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:45 AM
mtsod

I wouldn't go to Detroit. I went to college in lower Michigan, and my wife's family lives 30 minutes away from Detroit. What a dump. Don't waste your time. Dirty, little to do, very few excellent restaurants, and 1 decent hotel (Townsend).

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:47 AM
i

The best time of year to go to Detroit is at the end of February on a leap year.