Best time of the year to visit Charleston ?

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Anishka

Best time of the year to visit Charleston ?

What is the best time of the year in terms of weather to visit Charleston? Are summers extremely humid ? What about spring and fall ? We want to go soon to visit this beautiful place but don't know when. Also how much time is enough in order to get to know Charleston and visit a plantation or two ? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 03:18 AM
suzy

.We just visited Charleston in early June with our 2 children before going to Hilton Head. It was in the 80's and humid but we still had an excellent time. We came in on a Wednesday and left on a Saturday which gave us 2 full days and 2 half days. You need at least 3-5 full days to do a good tour of the area. We did the carriage tour which is a good intro to the city. We also did a walking ghost tour in the evening. There are lots of historic homes to tour and several museums. We also had a rental car and drove out to Magnolia Plantation which has spectacular grounds

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 03:22 AM
suzy

Prior response cont'd. We also enjoyed Patriots Point which has several destroyers/subs to tour. We stayed at Charleston Place which is the premier hotel and got a great rate on the weeknights although the price shot up on fri. nite. There are some wonderful upscale inns near the waterfront but I wouldn't stay there with young children like mine. I highly recommend the Hominy Grill restaurant. Ansons and the Peninsula Grill also have great reputations. I am fairly well-travelled and I say make Charleston a high priority--it's a great city!

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Ruth

The only way that the summer won't be hot and humid is if they have an unusual spell of weather. We've been there in September and also run into hot and humid, so you take your chances. It is still one of my favorite places to visit.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Toni

We were first time Charleston visitors the end of April and had perfect weather. It was late for the azalea's but the temperature was right around 70-75 degrees and perfect. We had excellent dinners at Hominy Grill and Anson's and stayed at the King George IV Inn which was very nice.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 02:11 PM
xxx

I was in Charleston a week before Memorial day, and it was way too hot already. Also, went to two plantations and found that the flowers had already shriveled up. A month earlier would have been perfect.
If you're planning to just stay in the city and maybe go to one plantation (probably enough) 4 full days is plenty.
I went to Fort Sumter, several historic houses in Charleston by walking and trolley, drove out to a plantation and a historic house out of town (Drayton Hall) AND spent a day in Beaufort (about 70 miles south) over 5 days. It is very helpful to stay in town at a centrally located inn/hotel so that you can break up the day if necessary and walk to most sights

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Laura

My brother and his wife live in Charleston, and I have visited Charleston during every season. I love the fall- there is a wonderful historic home tour every fall- and it's usually pleasant weather. July and August are just too hot for me. Christmas is very pretty in Charleston. I like spring until mid-June. We usually stay out at Wild Dunes at a beach house- next year we may rent at the Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island- and drive in to Charleston. Staying in town is nice, but if you want to combine it with beach time, you get the best of both worlds. Definately take the guided tours- I love the Ghost Tours and the carriage tours. Hope that's helpful!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:43 AM
dan woodlief

I would recommend mid to late October. This part of the country (I live in NC) can be so hot and humid in the summer months. I went in October and loved it. Actually it was cooler than usual, but October should be good most of the time. There were fewer people too. You won't see as many flowers as in the spring though. We spent a little over four days there, which gave us time to do three house tours, visit Ft. Sumter, see Patriot's Point, spend a little time at the beach, tour the historic area, do a small amount of shopping, and see most of two plantations. My travelogue is at www.oneeyed.homestead.com.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 02:20 PM
I-Agree-With-Dan

I was also there in mid-October albeit several years ago.
The weather was perfect for me; low to mid 70's with very little humidity.