Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   “best” time of the year to go to NYC in terms of hotel rates. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-time-of-the-year-to-go-to-nyc-in-terms-of-hotel-rates-742607/)

roadlesstraveled Oct 13th, 2007 05:20 PM

“best” time of the year to go to NYC in terms of hotel rates.

I have been to New York City twice, once in June and once in May, both times for a week. I absolutely love New York and have seen all the major tourist sights. Both trips were with family members who do not enjoy museums as much as I do. Therefore, I am planning a solo all-museum trip. I have a lot of flexibility as to my dates and I was wondering if there “best” time of the year to go in terms of hotel rates. I know the holidays are a very expensive time of the year but I don’t have line of sight to fashion shows, conventions, festivals, etc. I realize I may be looking for something that doesn’t exist.

MikeT Oct 13th, 2007 05:44 PM

January and February. July and August.

HowardR Oct 14th, 2007 05:12 AM

With tourist business booming in New York, you're more likely to find the best rates in January and February....more so than July and August.

suse Oct 14th, 2007 06:30 AM

I agree with Mike T. No place is as cold as NY in January and February and no place is as hot in July and August!!! I ususally go both times because the hotels are so much cheaper. For example, the Courtyard Marriott Times Square is about $450 right now and will be $199 in January. The New York Palace is currently $595 and was $299 in August. Dress for the weather and have a great time!
Suse

MikeT Oct 14th, 2007 06:36 AM

I've actually had a great time in NYC in January. Got to stay in really nice hotels. You move a little slower, spend a little longer just people watching while you drink your coffee or hot cocoa. You spend a little longer in museums and try not to pack as much time in.

I was in NYC (for work) in January when there was a blizzard. It was amazing seeing the city buried under 17 inches of snow because it just kept moving.

HowardR Oct 14th, 2007 06:48 AM

"No place is as cold as NY in January and February and no place is as hot in July and August."
Whoa!!! Sure, to gets cold and hot, respectively, in winter and summer. Still, neither can compare to, say, Chicago, Boston, etc., in the winter nor to, say, Houston and New Orleans in the summer!

suse Oct 14th, 2007 06:49 AM

HowardR,
Wanna bet? :)

HowardR Oct 14th, 2007 07:24 AM

Yes!

suse Oct 14th, 2007 07:48 AM

Okay, Howard...................
Does it get as hot and humid in Chicago in the summer as it does in New York and does it get as cold in NO in the winter as it does in NY?

An side...For some reason, the most uncomfortable place in the US to me in the summer is Williamsburg VA. I do agree that Boston is probably the coldest! BUT...one city with both is NEW YORK!!!!

dan_woodlief Oct 14th, 2007 08:14 AM

It isn't always hot in August. We were in New York for over a week this August, and it was only very hot a couple of days. Even then, it was not nearly as bad as some cities. We were in Washington, D.C. in June a couple of years ago, and it was just sweltering. I have lived most of my life in the South, but I can't say I am fond of heat. I did expect New York to be worse than it was, but it was actually fine most of the time.

That said, the other two times I visited were in April and November, and it was a lot more comfortable then. You get more daylight in August for sightseeing though.

dmlove Oct 14th, 2007 08:21 AM

I definitely think there are cities that are colder than NY in winter, and hotter than NY in summer, but that's beside the point for me. I've been in NY many many times (grew up there in fact), at all times of year, including during January blizzard (was that 1996?) and the day after some hurricane (stuck in Detroit DURING the hurricane). Although I'm not fan of the cold, I love NY no matter what time of year or weather. roadlesstraveled, you'll mostly be inside at museums anyway! So bundle up when you're outside (give your outer gear to the coat check at the museum) and have fun! You'll get a lot more done in brisk weather than in the hot humid days of summer when you just can't move as fast.

roadlesstraveled Oct 14th, 2007 08:54 AM

Thank you for the responses. I am leaning towards Jan-Feb because even though I actually prefer hot over cold weather because I think that the museums would be less crowded in Jan-Feb.

nytraveler Oct 14th, 2007 08:57 AM

Jan and Feb (except for Valentine's Day weekend) will get you the best rates by far. And should be fine for museum-going.

There is a chance of bad weather - but subways run underground and it takes a major storm (the kind we get once every 8 to 10 years) to curtail bus service in Manhattan. So, just bring warm clothes, booties with ridged rubber soles (for ice and sleet) and enjoy.

Using either hotel web sites or Priceline you should be able to get a really good hotel at a very reasonable rate. Also - check travelzoo and kayak.com.

Also - cultural life is in full swing and discounted theater tickets should also be widely available.

trippinkpj Oct 14th, 2007 10:50 AM

Unless you are a very "weather spoiled" person from coastal CA, desert southwest, HI or FL you should be fine. FYI, I'm a spoiled native Californian who is bundling up for November in NYC. :-)

happytrailstoyou Oct 14th, 2007 10:54 AM

February.

virgi Oct 14th, 2007 11:32 AM

Nothing & no-place is as hot in the summer as the East Coast of Fla.,not even N.Y. But getting to the point, why not down-size your sleeping-showering arrangements and go to the YMCA. There's one right 3 blocks from the U.N. on the East sidfe, and one on the westside, around 60-something street, across from the park. If your going solo, and want to just have a safe, clean place to wash, sleep, & store your baggage, this is an alternative. I've gone to N.Y. many times on the spur of the moment and am able to do it because of the Y. But, then again, I go out to the city all day, and just come back to sleep & shower - don't know if that's up to par with your agenda.

roadlesstraveled Oct 14th, 2007 07:51 PM

LOL trippinkpj - you must have second sight! I am an extremely “weather-spoiled’ coastal native Southern Californian. However, the company I work for is based in Minnesota and I spent a week there in February. After that experience, New York doesn’t sound that scary.

roadlesstraveled Oct 14th, 2007 08:07 PM

Virgi - Point well taken about the gulf coast of Florida. Back in August of 1975, I spent a week with my great aunt in Tampa. We were there for a family reunion and my aunt, who had lived in Florida since the 30’s, did not feel that air conditioning was necessary – not in her car or in her house. After only a day, my sister and I begged my mother to let us go home. Of course she said no, and I proceeded to spend the longest week of my life in that unrelenting steam bath. The beach was hotter than inside the house. I have been in some hot and humid weather since then but nothing that could compare. Thank you for the YMCA recommendation but I am afraid those days are behind me.

GoTravel Oct 15th, 2007 07:07 AM

Actually, February isn't off peak any longer because of Valentine's weekend and Presidents Week.

Anytime after New Years Day through the first week of February you should find decent prices.

myst Oct 15th, 2007 07:12 AM

I did a somewhat solo trip and loved it. I too am alone in liking museums....

I had a fantastic trip in early November and one in late May. (My friend lives there, but she works and I go sightseeing until dinner time).

I love getting rooms from priceline. I have very good luck always. Just go to biddingfortravel.com first. Enjoy!