Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best things to do in NYC on a student's budget?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ya'll, just wondering if I could get any tips.
What're the best things to do/see/eat in NYC? (on the budget of a student backpacking, heh)
Biggest tourist traps?
Aaaaand the inevitable question... best places to shop? Haha.
Help much appreciated!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Have a read

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/urban/gu...heap/index.htm
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Walk! Walk around the East Village (St. Mark's Place) as well as the West Village, SoHo, Central Park, etc.

Museums -- you can spend all day in the Metropolitan for very little $$.

Staten Island Ferry -- enjoy a great view of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty . . . for Free!

Enjoy NYC
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Syv

The Gray Line bus tours are a good way to see a lot for less.

Hop on / Hop off tours. See their website for the many choices. http://www.graylinenewyork.com/
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM

If its' really a student budget - and you have photo ID - you can get great prices on a lot of Broadway shows and low-priced entrance to some of the greatest museums of the world. (But if you really are going to spend a lot of time shopping - I don;t think you qualify for a lot of the reduced entrances - these are for the poor - not the cheap!)
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot for the help! I was actually wondering more along the lines of flea markets or thrift shops... anywhere I can get unique gifts and stuff for the important people back home. And yeah it really is a students budget heh.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:02 PM

I second the museum recommendation. When I was a senior in college I went to stay at a friends in NYC for spring break. While she was at work during the day I went to the Guggenheim, MOMA, etc. They have cool gift shops where you can buy unique gifts at every price range.

You can always go get knockoff PRADA purses in Chinatown!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:47 AM

jlinger77 - Check to see if your library has a copy of Suzy Gershman's "Born to Shop NYC". She has great ideas for all price ranges, and should also cover thrift shops. Good place to get ideas for unique and small gifts also.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Are you into culture? There are free and cheap rehearsals at places like the New York Philharmonic, and many free concerts throughout the city. Lists are in the back of New York Magazine and in the free weekly papers such as Village Voice.

I may be in the minority here, but I've never understood the idea of people traveling buying gifts to give those back home. I'd much rather see a "starving student" friend of mine, spent his limited funds on things for himself, than bringing me back some gift from a thrift shop or anywhere else. If your funds are limited, don't waste them buying gifts! Sorry if that makes me sound self-centered.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Walk! From mid-town you can walk north to Central Park and Harlem and south to Chelsea, Greenwich Village, East Village, Little Italy, Chinatown, Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge. This doesn't cost anything and you can dine on fruit off of street carts, bagels, hot dogs, and what have you.

Admission at some museums is a donation. At the Metropolitain, for instance, you can donate whatever amount is in your buget rather than the posted "suggested" admission.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Somebody told me about a place to shop in the financial district called "The Broadway" or something like that - does anyone know what they mean?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM

For cheap & fun shopping, go to Canal Street in Chinatown between Broadway & Mulberry. You'll find all kinds of stuff -- sunglasses, knock-off purses, "Burberry" scarves for $5, watches, etc. Be sure to haggle on price -- it's expected.

Also be sure to check out the many eclectic shops along both St. Mark's Place and Bleecker Street.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Eat your splurge meals at lunch. My college freshman daughter and her friends just went on a NYC trip, and they cleverly made reservations for lunches, saving them many bucks. Also, they went online ahead of time and got free tix to TV shows (TRL, the Daily Show, etc). And I agree with Patrick, I didn't get any souvenirs, and that's no problem for me!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:28 AM

central park walkable from midtown, always interesting no matter the time of year, the museums are right there to. OR from midtown, go down to soho, chinatown, little italy all the way to battery park. you can take the local bus, (info at times square) to battery park, and walk up to chinatown, or hit soho, the village, all in one day, just have on good shoes!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Patrick - I also agree about not bringing back souvenirs for people per se. After all, a souvenir, by definition, is something to help you remember (souvenir is french for to remember). Your family back home can't remember your trip no matter what you bring back.

That said, I do very much enjoy shopping for gifts for people while I travel. I'm going to buy birthday and Christmas gifts somewhere, at some point in time. So it can be a lot of fun to do the shopping on vacation and bring the stuff home to put away until needed. You often have access to great shopping for things that are totally different from what you'd find at home, and it's more fun than catalog or internet shopping.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 08:20 AM

There are some outdoor markets on Spring and West Broawdway, also Broadway and E. 3th St. There are some flea markets in the 20s near browadway (I think) that are open on the weekends. If you are coming in the spring/summer/fall, there are almost always several street fairs all over town.

Definitely pick up a NY Mag, or Time Out NY for all kinds of listings including flea markets, street fairs and free entertainment.

I think one of the best cheap restaurant neighborhoods is the E. VIlalge. There are tons of places to chose from and huge variety of cuisine and atmosphere.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Burgers at The SHAKE SHACK, Madison Ave @23rd (Madison Square Park).

Yes take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:25 AM

Quite a lot of things in NYC are free-like...parks? Central Park is nice to walk in. If you are really on a student budget my best advice would be to go to Brooklyn, not Manhattan. It is remarkable how much less crowded, less expensive and more full of culture than Manhattan is. Even Prospect Park is fabulous. As far as eating, you can't beat the $5.00 meal of falafel+salad+a drink they sell in little carts on 5th ave or park ave (around the 50's streets) Museums are great, the Brooklyn Art Museum has started charging to get in, but you may be able to get a discount. MOMA is grand also.
As far as shopping, I'm sorry I have to be the one to break this to you. Nothing is cheap in New York City. My favorite place to shop is on 5th ave. Saks is a standby but on a budget I doubt you could even afford a carrier bag. Generally the further south you go the cheaper things get. The little stores around Times Square and in the Fashion District have relatively cheap things as they're basically wholesale.
Have fun!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Cassandra

Has anyone mentioned the cheapest cruise with an excellent view of lower Manhattan skyline -- the Staten Island ferry? Take it at sunset. Wow.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Hi there, this is a great flea market:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/customer_website/7079665

A real good burger for 5.50 at the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridien Hotel, or Corner Bistro on West 4th street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -