Best things to do in New York City with Teen

Jul 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Best things to do in New York City with Teen

Taking my 15yr old daughter on her first trip to NYC (7/19-25). It's a birthday surprise! We'll be getting the redeye out of LA and get in early Sun to LaGuardia. Will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Times Square (booked with AAA). AAA package includes Top of the Rock, Tavern on the Green dinner, essential NY tour (gray line), tixs to Wicked and the Little Mermaid and GMA(for this, I'll have to drag my not-a-morning person out of bed!)
1 Best method to get from airport to hotel?
2 What to do, besides find breakfast, until can check in? Should I try to get tixs for Shrek matinee that Sun?
3 Is it worth it to actually try to get tickets to go into the SOL or ESB? Got tixs for Top of the Rock already.
4 Want to take her to Coney Island to see mom's old hangout - all I want is Nathans, White Castle and a good knish.
Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM

The crown at the Statue of Liberty has opened- only 10 people allowed to go up at a time, with a ranger, but I know it was always fun with me as a child!
The tenement Museum. Our 13 year olds enjoyed it when we were there in April.
Walking from Brooklyn over the Brooklyn Bridge-a freebie that they enjoyed.
Shopping in Soho
The Shake shop in Union Square
Any Sephora(there is one in Times Square).
Katz's Deli ( combine it with the Tenement Museum.
I'll think of more!
Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM

I think all of Cape Cod's suggestions are good, with the exception fo the SOL -- if you want to see the statue, take a ferry that goes around Liberty Island, but don't waste your time climbing up inside -- after all, you can't see the statue if you're inside of it! Also, since you're coming from LA, I doubt Sephora will be much of a novelty Be sure to walk up Fifth Avenue, and take some time to wander around Central Park (like no other), Greenwich Village, the Met and MOMA (and other museums if that's your thing). Ellis Island is fascinating (and I agree, so is the Tenement Museum, and lunch at Katz' is great).
Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM

Oh, forgot to say, since you're arriving at LGA, just take a taxi to your hotel, about $40 all in (fare, tip, tolls). Public transportation is not easy from LGA. You could hire a car service, but getting a taxi is easy -- just walk outside the terminal and wait in line. It goes quickly.

As for what to do when you arrive, get breakfast, and just wander (she will be "NY-struck" I'm sure.
Jul 5th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all - hope everyone had a good 4th!

Have heard multiple comments about the Tenement Museum, so sf7307 thanks, she can get a great lesson on old NY and I can get a good deli fix.
Jul 5th, 2009, 09:36 AM

From LGA the only reasonable option is to grab a cab to your hotel.

Tickets to the SOL have to be bought in advance or you won;t get in - don;t know if any are left for your dates. And a trip to SOL and Ellis Island - including ferries - will take about 6 hours. With limited time I would just do a view from the (free) Staten Island Ferry.

You don;t say what her interests are, but I would definitely add:

the Met (go to web site in advance to pice departments of most interest to you)
Central Park
Have dinner in a couple of the residential areas (upper west side, village, lower est side) where there are a lot more moderate places, many with sidewalk dining for people watching
Do some downtown shopping (NOT Chinatown junk but some of the intersting places you won;t find in every mall)
Museum of Natural History (including a bunch of IMAX movies) - to see human evolution and gems/minerals if nothing else

And do realize that Coney Island had changed - many things are gone and the surrounding area is not very pleasant besides the hour trip on the subway.
Jul 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I have to say we loved Coney Island. My husband and I went 2-3 years ago, and had a blast, got to rest on the 45 min subway ride over, saw the fabulous freak show, which is definitely a throwback to the old days at county fairs, got a Nathans hot dog, had a great time. I know the freak show (not "shoot the freak", but sword swallowers, contortionists, etc.) is still there, as well as Nathans, many of the rides, etc.