Best thing for boys 7 & 8 at grand canyon

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best thing for boys 7 & 8 at grand canyon

We are taking our grandsons to the grand canyon, sedona area in June. What is something we just shouldn't miss while there? We are staying two nights in Yavapai Lodge. They love swimming in pools. Is is worth them not to be able to swim to stay inside the park? We've never been before. I've read alot of your posts about how great it is to stay in the park and be able to see the sunsets. I'm looking forward to it but swimming everyday has always been one of their favorite things about vacationing. (Don't have a pool at home.) We've gone hiking in the Smokies and they loved that.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM

How old are your grandsons?

If there 12 or over, and you think they would rather watch a bunch of rocks and sunsets over watching girls in bathing suits at the pool, you are getting old, Grandma.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:07 PM

Sorry, did not look closely at the title. They are only 7 & 8, hopefully not interested in girls yet.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:56 PM

Even 43 years later I can still recall the sense of total amazement I had when I first peered over the edge of the Canyon at age eight. I felt that same sense the next five times I've gone there; each and every time I've found it hard to believe what my eyes were seeing. For better or worse, about the only thing to do at the Canyon is view one of the most beautiful, awe-inspiring sights on this planet. I've been to pools many times since, but NOTHING comes remotely close to seeing the Canyon.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. By the way, I am a young grandma 47 and they are young at 7 & 8 but the girls sure do like them. They love hiking and are always outside, so I think we are all going to love it. Hopefully they won't miss the pool too much.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM

they do have Ranger programs that the kids may be interested in......
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
mpf

My grandkids favorite things at the Grand Canyon were the sunrise, the deer in the morning, and taking a plane ride over the canyon. Sometimes we try to please them, and yet they each find have their own special interests.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM

My kids really enjoyed the Ranger programs at that age. They usually have the schedule up in advance. they still have some of the certificates they received from these!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:42 PM
mp

I hate to say this although my 9 year old son loved the Grand Canyon, enjoyed the hike around the rim, got up early to watch the sunrise and adored all the wildlife we saw - what he still talks about is peeing off the side of a cliff into the canyon! Boys.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:14 AM

there is a booklet you get when you enter the park...if they don't give you one when you pay your entrance fee ask for one..it gives you info on what is going on in the park..also try the Grand Canyon website..try to stay on the rim if you can...keep calling..people always cancel..Thunderbird or Kachina might be good for the kids..also a cabin @Bright Angel...it is right by the trail...always deer at night outside these hotels..and try Slide Rock in Sedona and sunset at the airport...the kids would probably like a jeep trip too...
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:54 AM

We went to GC last summer with our boys who were aged 6 & 7. They absolutely loved it. We did the rangers program which was terrific and some hiking. In the afternoons, the boys went swimming. We stayed just outside the park at a Holiday Inn Express. The hotel was fine-- priced well, had a pool, good location, and included breakfast. It turned out not to be a big deal for us to be outside of the park (I had originally been disappointed that I couldn't get accommodations in the park).

You'll have a wonderful time. One of our best vacations yet.
Jeanne
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:24 AM

try-www.americanparknetwork.com/activity/kids-------and igougo.com for activities
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if you have to leave the Grand Canyon Park before dark and can you get into the park before daylight?

Is it hard to get in and out of the park with the traffic?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Will we even be worried about swimming while there?
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Check this link for some good info -
http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/south-rim/index.htm

On the left you will see a link to the Ranger programs

I couldn't find times the gates open/close, but years ago we did arrive in the middle of the night and had to wait until the gate opened (maybe 7? don't remember). We weren't allowed to wait there - considered "camping".

I took the kids and stayed in the park and while the day temps were comfortable, the evenings were chilly in the summer. We took the mule ride and in the canyon it is very, very hot. But, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be for swimming.

The mule ride is an incredible experience, but I don't know the minimum age. I think my nephew was about 8 when we went. He had a blast!