Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best sunscreen for your face? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-sunscreen-for-your-face-302512/)

Spike Mar 31st, 2003 02:14 PM

Best sunscreen for your face?

I am inspired by the waterproof makeup question and the long minutes I stood staring at the sunscreen counter today. I have really sensitive skin and need a good sunscreen that I can use every day now that the sun is shining. What do you use on your face that works and doesn't irritate? Thanks, fellow fodors faces!<BR>

Scarlett Mar 31st, 2003 02:23 PM

Hi <BR>I like Clarins. Anything in a gel form I like also. <BR><BR><BR>

angeleno Mar 31st, 2003 02:39 PM

try buying moisterizer with SPF. I like Oil of Olay with SPF 15 for everyday use and then I buy a Waterbabies SPF 45 stick for nose, forehead and ears

gocats2002 Mar 31st, 2003 02:49 PM

Clininque makes one that will keep you from breaking out. But, I've taken to wearing a hat to keep the sun off my face. It's easier and can be quite cute.

J_Correa Mar 31st, 2003 03:02 PM

I have really sensitive skin and am very fair complected. I use Oil of Olay daily moisturizer with SPF15. I use it everyday, rain or shine. It works really well and makes my skin feel nice. <BR><BR>When I am going really be out in the sun, I wear a hat and also use Banana Boat Faces - I think it's SPF 30.

Diana Mar 31st, 2003 03:07 PM

Hi Spike,<BR>Any Neutrogena screens/blocks work best for me as I break out if I use ANYTHING with oils in it.<BR>They make a great 30SPF block for the face.

Barbara Mar 31st, 2003 03:17 PM

I also have fair skin and I live in San Diego, so I'm in the sun almost every day, although I never sunbathe. I use Banana Boat Faces every day. I like it because it works and it doesn't have a strong scent.I put makeup on top of it with no problem.

rjw_lgb_ca Mar 31st, 2003 03:20 PM

Might as well chime in.... I live in southern CA with a convertible and, without sunscreen, will have a livid Farmer's Burn all summer long. I use the Banana Boat products faithfully and happily. They're effective, conveniently packaged and priced right.

nocinonut Mar 31st, 2003 03:24 PM

I try not to use anything with added oil that can clog up pores. Oil of Olay clogs my pores and makes those little bumps! <BR>Does Banana Boat Face have oils?

Barbara Mar 31st, 2003 03:31 PM

Banana Boat Faces is hypoallergenic and oil free.

scigirl Mar 31st, 2003 03:36 PM

Cetaphil makes a great face sunscreen (with Parasol as the active ingredient). My dermatologist recommended it - I've had no problems with breakouts or irritation. It comes in a small pump bottle and is available at drug stores. Goes on great under make-up. I wear it every day. <BR><BR>Whatever brand you buy read the ingredients - as some cosmetic brand sunscreens (e.g. Loreal, etc.) don't contain any sunscreen substances and don't actually provide much protection. (I'm not sure how they get an SPF rating.) My dermatolgist warned me about this. Look for products containing Parsol, Zinc Oxide (or zinc whatever), etc.

Spike Mar 31st, 2003 05:19 PM

scigirl, what SPF is that product from Cetaphil? I've used their cleanser and it is so gentle. I'm looking for something over SPF 15 and I've also had irritated skin from the Oil of Olay lotions. The Banana Boat recs sound really good. Also, I've used and enjoyed the Clarins products so maybe I'll give the sunscreen a whirl. Good info! <BR><BR>I've also read that parsol is a &quot;good&quot; ingredient for a sunscreen. <BR><BR>Seems like such a pain to first put on the moisturizer, then the sunscreen and then the makeup. I want something that can take the place of the moisturizer and not be to thick or heavy or greasy that I can't put some makeup on over it. Doesn't necessarily need to be waterproof, that component of a moisturizer or makeup sounds like it might irritate my skin. Oh, so sensitive!

scigirl Mar 31st, 2003 07:23 PM

Cetaphil daily facial moisturizer is SPF 15 - it is a nice moisturizer. I have sensitive skin and have never had a problem with it (many other sunscreens cause much skin irritation to my face). All of Cetaphil's products that I've tried have been great. The sunscreen isn't waterproof (I think it is hard to be gentle and waterproof and noncomedogenic). A 4oz bottle is about $12 (in Hawaii - probably cheaper on the mainland).

ChristieP Apr 1st, 2003 05:39 AM

Clinique City Block. It is thin enough to wear under makeup, too.

GoTravel Apr 1st, 2003 05:56 AM

Anything over a 30 will probably make your face break out. I like Elizabeth Arden.

ncgrrl Apr 1st, 2003 06:11 AM

Another vote for cetaphil.

iceeu2 Apr 1st, 2003 07:16 AM

Find you a Mary Kay consultant. Their day solution has sunscreen (SPF 15) and they have a moisturizer that has sunscreen, so its just a part of your daily skin care routine.

Barbara Apr 1st, 2003 07:28 AM

I use Mary Kay too. It's really light, but I still put Banana Boat on top.

Litespeed_Chick Apr 1st, 2003 08:08 AM

I like Neutrogena Healthy Skin moistureizer for everyday. It's a 15, I think.<BR><BR>After I had a microdermabrasion facial last year they told me to use 30 sunscreen for a few weeks. It's hard to find one that doesn't turn your face white. I think I settled on Lancome.

suzanne Apr 1st, 2003 09:35 AM

I have super-sensitive skin (can't use most scented products)...yesterday I bought Cetaphil face moisturizer with SPF 15 (blocks UVA/UVB). Guess it appealed to me b/c it's &quot;dermatologist recommended&quot;, unscented, and the Cetaphil cleanser I've been using for the last year has done wonders for my skin. Today is my first day wearing the moisturizer...so far, so good.