Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best spot for touring wine country (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-spot-for-touring-wine-country-244009/)

Katherine Jul 29th, 2002 07:22 AM

Best spot for touring wine country

Hi,<BR><BR>My head is spinning from all of the information on this site. My husband and I are visiting wine country in late August for 3 days, mid-week. I was considering the Vintner Inn, which looks beautiful(love the Tuscan look) but now I'm wondering if it's in the best location for touring the area. I'm also wondering if we shouldn't be closer to a town (quaint and charming, ideally) for strolling and dining (or maybe seeing a movie)in the evening.<BR><BR>So, where, in the opinion of the experts out there, should we station ourselves for 3 days to see the best/most beautiful parts of the area? Favorite lodging suggestions would also be appreciated. ($250.00 per night max) <BR><BR>Thanks!!

Did ya know Jul 29th, 2002 07:33 AM

That there is more that one area of the country that can and is considered wine country, which one are you going to? In New York's Finger Lake region there are many family owned wineries also in the Ozark Mts. of Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri. Both areas offer very interesting wine tours.

Katherine Jul 29th, 2002 08:26 AM

California, North of San Francisco

[email protected] Jul 29th, 2002 10:15 AM

Healdsburg is at the center of the Sonoma wine area, and has a number of really nice little inns... you can walk from inns to the town square, where there are a number of nice restaurants, shops, wine stores, tasting rooms, etc.<BR><BR>It's good for a base of operations... lots of wine districts in every direction, and a nice, low-key place to stay... especially mid-week, when it's a lot less crowded both in town and at the wineries.

kam Jul 29th, 2002 10:26 AM

Assuming you have a car, Vintner's Inn is a wonderful choice. You'll find you'll drive the whole length of Napa and probably over to Sonoma if you have 3 days. Three cute towns in Napa Valley: Yountville, St. Helena and Calistoga. Of the three I prefer St. Helena for the shops and bakeries etc. You really can't go wrong. Sonoma town and Healdsburg are charming too. But, do get going on those reservations----today!!

linda Jul 29th, 2002 10:53 AM

Katherine,<BR> I agree with the post about Healdsburg. We never used the car except to visit wineries. It was so relaxing to walk to restaurants, shops, etc at the end of the day.<BR>Since you asked about beauty- you cannot beat Sonoma Valley. I loved the Dry Creek and Russian RiverValley area as well as the area around Lake Sonoma.Much, much prettier than Napa.

Susan Jul 29th, 2002 01:03 PM

I agree it is more fun to stay in town where you can walk to restaurants in the evening and leave the car at the hotel. A car in mandatory for wine tasting, but it's nice to experience some of the small towns of Napa and Sonoma. Either Healdsburg, Sonoma town, Calistoga, or St. Helena would be my choices.

kam Jul 29th, 2002 01:06 PM

Great site for all of California wine areas: www.winecountry.com

Katherine Jul 29th, 2002 02:46 PM

Thanks so much for the input everyone!!<BR><BR>I think I've decided to do 2 nights at Vintners (the photos I've seen make it look quite irresistable) and 1 night at Healdsburg. From there, we go for a night at the Pelican Inn near the coast. I hope I won't regret the moving about from place to place.<BR><BR>Thanks again!!