Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best short hike in Grand Canyon (South Rim) with kids, if only have 1 day there?

Best short hike in Grand Canyon (South Rim) with kids, if only have 1 day there?

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 10:37 AM
Sue

Hi- I'm leaving for Sedona on this Sat. 6/26th and I need a quick recommendation on what's the neatest short hike in the Grand Canyon with kids...we also want to take in the IMAX and any other specific suggestions for a day in the Grand Canyon? Thank you so much for helping!

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 11:04 AM
Bob Brown

The West Rim Drive, which starts near the cabins for the Bright Angel Lodge, can be visited by shuttle bus. Get out at one of the stops and walk the rim trail to the next stop. You can continue on or return on the next shuttle. The walks are relatively flat and the views of the canyon are great. We went all the way to the end alternately riding and walking with a pair of good binoculars.
Crowds away from the view points were smaller, even non existent. And we could enjoy the canyon.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 11:24 AM
Diane

I second Bob's vote for the shuttle on West Rim Drive. It's nice because you
can get on and off where you want to and do as little or as much hiking along the rim that you like. Take water bottles with you! They do have pop machines and
water fountain at the turnaround at the end but you can get mighty thirsty beforehand.

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 12:13 PM
Sue

Thanks Bob and Diane about that prompt response...since I've never been to the Grand Canyon...will there be signs that take me to West Rim Drive? I'm so excited to do this but don't want to waste any precious time getting lost in my car...where should I park to get this shuttle bus? Is this the hike that goes into some gardens? thank you for helping!

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 12:19 PM
Sue

Oh, I forgot to ask this....how long does this hike normally take? We live in Steamboat Springs, CO in the Rocky Mts. and are used to hiking?