Best shopping outlets from New York city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are coming over in about 2 weeks and would like to know the best shopping outlets for trainers and jeans and general shopping that we can visit by bus from New York City. We would need to get a bus, presumably from Port Authority? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:45 AM

Believe there are shopping excursions run out of the Port Authority to both Jersey Gardens, near Newark Airport, and Woodbury Common in Harriman, NY.

I'd suggest checking the websites for both locations as it'll likely have up to date information about bus schedules and available shops.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:11 AM

Woodbury Common is significantly further away and has a much different group of stores - a lot of the more basic ones - but also with a focus on more upscale/some designers. Jersey outlets are almost all of the bread and butter variety - and take less time to get to
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:12 AM

You can take a bus to most of the major ones like Woodbury Commons or Jersey Gardens.

Here is a website for Woodbury Commons www.premiumoutlets.com or try www.nyctourist.com/info_woodburycommon.htm

If you can't access the websites, here is the basic information from the site:
Woodbury Commons
498 Red Apple Court
Central Valley, NY
(845) 928-4000
Mon-Sat 10am to 9pm; Sun 10am to 8pm
By bus from New York City:
take the Gray Line bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd Street & 8th Avenue). The bus leaves at 8:30am, 9:45am, 11:15am, noon every day. It's about $34 round trip. Website for Gray Line is graylinenewyork.com
The website for Jersey Gardens is www.jerseygardens.com
651 Kapkowsi Road (Exit 13A NJ Turnpike)
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Tel: 908-354-5900
Mall Hours: Monday to Saturday 10am - 9 pm
Sunday 11am-7pm

Jersey Gardens is located at Exit 13A of the New Jersey Turnpike. Jersey Gardens is accessible from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan via New Jersey Transit Bus #111. Takes about 45 minutes and costs $4.35. For times and other information go to the New Jersey transit website at www.njtransit.com

FYI, the State of New York imposes a sales tax of 4.5% on virtually all purchases, including electronics, cameras, clothing and shoes. (There used to be an exemption for clothing, but as of June 1 2003 that exemption will no longer exist for at least one year.) The county and city in which the shop is located may also impose ADDITONAL taxes pf between 3-4.5%, making for an effect tax of between 7.5% - 8.5%. The price marked on an item does NOT include sales tax. You should keep this in mind when making purchases to make sure they are still a good buy. It used to be that you could avoid paying this if you did not take the items with you but shipped them out of the state. I don't know if that is the rule; also to ship them to the UK would probably cost more than the money you are saving buying in the US. You might pose a question on this thread about New York State sales tax; as I haven't shopped there in a while. FYI the sales tax in New York City is 8.5%, definitely keep this in mind when buying items there.

The State of New Jersey does not impose any sales tax on clothing or shoes. They do impose a 6% sales tax on other items like handbags. I believe the Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth New Jersey mentioned above, has an exemption and only charges 3% tax. (this is an attempt to revitalize and older industrial city). This can make a big difference if you are buying a big-ticket item like jewellery, electronics, camera, etc.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM

Woodbury Common is definitely the one, with well over 200 shops.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:44 PM

Also out of Port Authority is a bus to Franklin Mills in Philadelphia, it's a MILE of stores, all outlet, Ann Taylor, Bed Bath and Beyond, Wilsons Leather (amazing prices there), Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, Neimans and Saks outlet stores, and more. It's my favorite in the area.

Also there's no tax, I think in PA.

Have a great time.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:52 PM

I also suggest that you hit the Filene's Basement and TJ Maxx on Avenue of the Americas and 18th Street.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:50 AM

Don't forget Century 21......
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:30 AM

I know it's a big thing to go to one of the malls but there are plenty of discount shopping places IN Manhattan. What sizes/sexes are you looking for? Do you want designer jeans or basic jeans. The more specific you are, the better we can help. You will spend an entire day going to Woodbury. There is a benefit to going to New Jersey as there's no sales tax on clothing there. Also remember to register at Macy's and Bloomingdales and you'll get a foreigners discount there too. We don't have a tax return scheme other than what the stores themselves decide to do.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all your help, it's my friend that wants to do an outlet shop, but I think I will enjoy it too. McLaurie, I didn't know about registering at those stores for discount and no-body mentioned it when we shopped there either (and with the accent you might guess we were English). So thanks for that I will remember this time!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Yes Macy's offers foreigners (you need your passport) an 11% discount which is actually more than the sales tax. Here's the info from their website

http://www.macys.com/store/about/visitor/index.jsp

I don't see this info on the Bloomies website so maybe I was misinformed.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Just a thought:
Woodbury Commons is NOT an enclosed mall, so you're at the mercy of the weather, which can be pretty nasty this time of year. Also, everything is on ground level, and the place is huge, so walking around the whole thing gets pretty tiring.

Jersey Gardens is an enclosed mall, so you're not getting rained/snowed upon, or frozen by the wintery winds. That being said, there's definitely more variety at Woodbury Commons.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:09 AM

Hi
We will be visiting in November, as with previous trips we definitely want to go to Woodbury Common. However, there will be 6 of us making the bus trip pretty expensive!!
We are nervous about hiring a car from the point of view of navigating out of Manhattan, though after that the trip seems fairly straightforward. Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternative ways of getting there for a group?
Thanks a lot
Cathy
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:45 AM

Found a ad for a different bus for $25/person instead of $34-35 but that's still quite a lot. Apart from renting a car (will be a tight fit for 6 in anything but a minivan) I have no ideas. Here's the info on the other bus.

http://www.expresstrails.com/
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:55 AM

avis, national and dollar (all between 77th and 32nd in midtown) quote one day mini van prices at around 70.00, you would have to add tax and possibly insurance and that puts it close to 100.00+ for the day. you could save a little and have more freedom on your schdule. i used orbitz. you might try priceline or the home sites of the companies i listed to look for a better price. good luck and shop til you drop!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:11 AM
GoTravel

There is so much great shopping in Manhattan that I cannot fathom dragging myself out of the city to outlet shop.

Keep in mind many outlets creat lower end lines specifically for the outlet stores and their merchandise is inferior quality. Because there are almost as many outlet shops as full priced retail shops, only a little of the stores merchandise will actually come from the actual store.

This is especially true for Banana Republic, Gap, Express, Limited, Nine West, J.Crew, Off Fifth, and many others.

For the best shopping guide to New York City (not just Manhattan), pick up a copy of Gerry Frank's "Where to Buy It, Find It, Eat It in New York".

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 11:47 AM

GoTravel - Re the variety of shopping in Manhattan vs NJ's outlets: there's no sales tax on clothes in NJ, and if someone is buying a lot, that can save substantial $$$.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:58 PM

I lived in NYC for 7 years, hit every sample sale, and consider myself a shopping expert. There is no question that Woodbury commons is BY FAR the best place to shop in or outside of NYC. It is a one hour bus ride (I took Shortline out of NYC), about $20-25 roundtrip (if you ask for the price without the "coupon book" it is about $8 cheaper). The outside setting is gorgeous, and makes for a pleasant experience no matter what the weather because you never need to worry about crowds. If you love shopping there is no better experience. The shortline buses are usually packed with foreign tourists who clearly know the value there...
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I wasn't aware that you could ask for a ticket without the coupon book. Kikihack - is this a recent thing you have done? I think their ticket prices are now $37.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM

It has been about 1 1/2 years since i took the bus. They definitely do not advertise the "no coupon book" option-- you have to ask when you buy your ticket. I can't remember exactly how much the price is reduced, but back when I was goin I believe it was $8-10 cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -