Best route to drive from DC to Boston on Friday, then to Bar Harbor on Sat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to catch the fall foliage in Maine next month, and enjoy the Bar Harbor for a week. We will be driving.

We will leave DC around noon on Friday 10/02. I hope to reach Boston and stay the night there. Then head out to Bar Harbor on Sat morning.

Google map tells me to go I-95, turn pike, GW bridge, then 91. I'm concerned about the Friday traffic on the turn pike and around NY. I will probably hit the traffic when I reach that area. I could also go 81 then 84 and avoid the east all together, but that route is 60 miles longer.

Any information about the traffic and driving conditions on these two routes are highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Just picked up my AAA Triptik for an upcoming trip from Maine to DC and points south (and back home again). The route they recommend is our preference: I-95, New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, I-87, Tappan Zee Bridge, I-87/287, I-684, I-84, I-90, I-495, and back to I-95 up into Maine. Depending on where you're staying in Boston, you might chose to take the Mass Pike (I-90) into the city.

Yes, it's a few miles longer but waaaay less hassle! We missed the exit to 684 once and had to go up the CT coast--hopefully we'll never make that mistake again!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM

When we lived in Fairfax we would go to the Cape via I-95. Now that we're are in Woodstock in the Valley, we use I-81/I-84. Much, much better
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM

I-95 in NYC is the Cross-Bronx Expressway and it can really SUCK. Granny may have the best of it if you leave at noon. Ideally, you should leave earlier because it's about 7.5 to 8 hours to Baaaaaaaaaaaahstin from DC.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM

We drive that route about 8 times/year - listen to Grandmommy's route and forget mileage - it is faster. Sounds like Boston area is just a place to sleep and not sightsee, since you are leaving Sat AM - so don't even go to Boston - follow Rte 495 and stay someplace along that route in Massachusetts. Lots of chain hotels of varying expensiveness along that route - and even some decent restaurants in this ring of suburban Boston.

Mapping/distance/time for that route is also variable. In theory one can drive from Boston - DC in about 8 hours, and mapping programs suggest that. Unless you are leaving at midnight, this is not likely to be reality. There is always some issue in NJ that causes a delay. Avoid the GW Bridge like a plague - especially on a Friday. The earlier in the day Friday you can leave the better.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, esp. Granny, for the great information. I will take Granny's route and try to leave a little bit earlier.

Gail, you are right. Boston is just a stop to sleep. I'll find a hotel along Rte 495. If it gets too late to reach Boston, I could stop around Hartford and visit Mark Twain's house the next morning before heading north to Bar Harbor. You drive this route EIGHT times a year! Wow!