Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best route from Springfield, MA to Myrtle Beach, SC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-route-from-springfield-ma-to-myrtle-beach-sc-912398/)

Kristina_Demyon Nov 16th, 2011 03:34 PM

Best route from Springfield, MA to Myrtle Beach, SC

I know I want to travel via I-81. I can't seem to find specific directions that I can print out to get me there.

91S to 84W

84W to Tappan Zee Bridge

87/287 to I-81

I-81 to 64 S

64 S to 95 S

Then what?!

Kristina_Demyon Nov 16th, 2011 03:40 PM

In hindsight..most accurately would be Route 8 to 84 West. Not 91 South.

suewoo Nov 16th, 2011 08:20 PM

A lot depends on your final destination. Will you be in Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle?

Luv2travel15 Nov 16th, 2011 10:20 PM

Do a map quest and it will give you the directions you are looking for from 95S to MB. We go to MB from the southeastern portion of MA, through RI, CT, etc. Just be aware that when you do Map Quest or other directions they will always route you over the George Washington Bridge and that is not where you want to go! Trust me, we have been there, done that. Traffic galore. So much easier over Tappan Zee bridge. After TZ bridge, you can take Garden State Parkway onto 95S.

I will look up my directions for you if you like. What is the location you are heading to in MB?

Also, if you belong to AAA, they can do a triptik for you and it will map out your route, give you construction info, etc. It's really the best way to go. You can also log onto AAA website and do the triptik yourself. You do not have to be a member to do this.

gail Nov 17th, 2011 12:18 AM

Rte84W thru Connecticut does not go directly to the Tappan Zee Bridge - You need to take 287 and 684 - if that is not clear from directions, post back.

After the Tappan Zee Bridge you also have a couple of options - some prefer Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike (that is the way I go) - but you may be going that way since I have no clue what roads 81 and 64 are.

tchoiniere Nov 17th, 2011 02:02 AM

If you are starting in Springfield, you do not want to take Route 8. Go 91 South to 84 West. Route 8 thru MA and into the beginning of CT is a 2 lane road and very slow.

emalloy Nov 17th, 2011 03:32 AM

From 95 in Virginia, take either rt 38 to 501 or 40 east to 17 south. Either route will take about 6 hours from Richmond where 64 intersects with 95.

If you really hate 95, you could continue south on 81 to 77 which is south of Roanoke and take that to 485 around Charlotte, SC and from there take one of a bunch of smaller routes that go to MB. Perhaps someone from that area who uses that route frequently can advise on the best option.

Gretchen Nov 17th, 2011 04:56 AM

I can't help you in MA, but come on south by others' suggestions to I95. THEN I strongly suggest taking I40 to Wilmington, and taking Route 17 south to MB or NMB. It will be more scenic, the road is a 4 lane, you could take a look at Wilington's historic waterfront area. You are about 1.5 hours from MB in Wilmington.
AT any rate, I 95 will not take you to MB. You will need to exit I95 at the exit for Route 327. Take that to 376, which becomes 501 and goes to MB. There's also a bypass to NMB is that is where you want to go. From this exit, you are again about 1.5 hours fromMB.
I think the Charlotte route suggested might be a bit out of the way.