Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best route from Denver to Tetons & what to do on the way?

Old May 14th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling from Denver to Colter Bay Cabins in August.

What is the best route and what is there to see on the way? Where is a good place to stop for lunch and how long should it take? Mapquest suggests about 10 hrs and via Cheyenne.

Thanks.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:50 PM

I'd also minimize time in Denver, but I can see that it makes sense to regroup after a long trip over.

I did a similar trip to what you're describing about 8 years ago. We flew into Denver and planned to visit RMNP and the Yellowston/Teton area. We only had one hotel reservation, and planned to camp the rest of the time.

As we were heading north from Denver, we noticed that there were large clouds in the vicinity of RMNP, so we skipped it and drove to Wyoming the same day.

On the advice of a forest ranger at a tourist information station, we drove a southern route, through the Snowy Range. We camped there for one night, and I think we ate in Centennial. We visited hot springs nearby.

We stayed at a B&B in Lander, where the owners said a prayer for us at breakfast.

We then drove through the Wind River Range, camping there, then on to the Tetons. I remember a beautiful lodge and restaurant by a lake on the eastern side of the Wind Rivers. Can anyone expound on that? We also had a nice meal in Green River.

I'm sure our route took longer than necessary, but it was beautiful. I wonder if it would make sense to drive to RMNP, over Trail Ridge Road, then head roughly north from there to Wyoming.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Sorry if my post seems odd. I was responding to your other post about time in Denver, as well.
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:02 PM

I'll second the Wind River Range. The drive from Landers, WY into the Grand Tetons is a beautiful drive.

Utahtea
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Syv

I will be travelling similar, coming out of west side of Rocky Mountain NP. I was planning to go through Baggs, Encampment area, west and up #191.

Travellyn & Utahtea - you are recommending #287 through Lander instead? Better? More scenic?

Is it about the same driving time if I cut up to #287 from Baggs area & then over to Jackson?
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Syv, I can't remember well enough to provide more information. How embarrassing!
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:01 PM

Syv,

It's been a long time since I traveled on Hwy 191 throught Pinedale into the Grand Tetons. Infact, I believe we've done this route more than once but it's been a long time. I don't remember it being as scenic as Hwy 287 & Hwy 26.

Coming from Baggs it's going to be quicker to go Hwy 191.

Utahtea
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Syv

Hmmm... decisions, decisions. Scenic or faster.

Planning's half the fun! Counting down - 45 days till we leave - hoorah.

thank you for your quick replies.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:44 PM

I agree planning is half the fun!

Faster means you can spend more time in the national parks

Utahtea
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies! I'm glad you all counted Lander in your itinerary- we thought of stopping here for lunch but couldn't find any recomendations anywhere about it.
Travellyn- I was thinking 'wow, how telepathic'. I liked your post. We'll probably zoom past much quicker but it will be nice to see all sights you recommend. On the AAA map of this area, many of the roads have the green dots that denote them as scenic routes.
Syv, maybe you'll post a trip report when you come back? It sounds like your trip is not disimilar to ours and I know you've done a lot of research already, so I'd be really interested to hear your experiences as a first timer there.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Syv

Yes - I'll definitely post a trip report. 19 days from Ontario Canada to "all we can cram in" of Colorado/Wyoming/South Dakota, & back.

It'll be my longest trip yet (for days, & probably mileage too). Don't forget those regular oil changes along the way!
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:23 PM

I'm with everyone else, I recommend driving over the Snowy Range, even though it is not the shortest route. It is a beautiful drive and you will understand why they call it the Snowy Range. Then drive by the Wind River Range on your way to Teton.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:31 AM

i traveled several years ago via cheyenne, and i have my uncle on video saying the following, about mid-way:

wow, what a whole lotta nothing.

my vote? see the grand junction area on the way, go west on 70, then north at grand junction. see colo natnl monument, arches natnl park, moab, etc., if you dont travel to this area frequently. o/w go thru wyoming.