Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Best route from Battle Creek, MI to Bar Harbor, ME

Best route from Battle Creek, MI to Bar Harbor, ME

May 28th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Best route from Battle Creek, MI to Bar Harbor, ME

I see there are 3 different routes to Bar Harbor from BC Michigan. One going up through Montreal Canada, one going through Niagara Falls to Worcester, Portland and up, one going through Cleveland and up. I was wondering which is the best route. Do you get stopped at customs in Canada that will eat up some of your time? Is I90 usually congested or pretty good? We will be leaving approx. 6 a.m. eastern time. After Bar Harbor we will be staying in Portland then going to Cape Cod.
May 29th, 2016, 02:24 AM

I personally will do anything to avoid I90 simply because I hate limited access toll roads where the next exit is many miles away. Amount of congestion depends on time of day/day of week. Keep in mind it's an east/west route.

What we do since we live in NH is go from Albany NY thru Bennington VT, across VT to Brattleboro, then Keene. There you have the option of going to Nashua or Concord NH. But once you leave Albany's outskirts, it's a numbered state highway. The route in VT is over Hogback mountain with lots of curves. From Concord or Nashua, googlemaps usually sends people to the seacoast via Rt 101 which can be congested during commuting hours or summer days when everyone is going to the beach. It's a boring stretch of road but it will connect with I95 so you can continue north to Maine. We prefer the more rural Rt 4 from Concord thru country towns to Rt 16 which connects to I95 in Portsmouth. Beginning in Albany, the lower speed limit might add more hours than you want to devote but there probably won't be any traffic.

After staying on Cape Cod, you should probably take I90 home. If you are trying to do MI to ME in one day, be warned that the VT route is not a good idea when you are very tired (last time we went that way was coming home from Columbus OH).

Search this Thread