Best route - Chicago to Asheville

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:34 AM
Deb

Best route - Chicago to Asheville

On my atlas, it looks like the quickest way from Chicago to Asheville, NC is I-65, I-74, to I-75. A map website suggested taking I-55 all the way to Memphis, then cutting over on I-40. This looks like a longer drive. Will someone who has made the trip please let me know which way would be best? I might go there one way and come back the other way, so I just need to know which is the quickest and which is the most scenic. How long of a drive is it? Thanks!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:59 PM
Topper

I'm interested in this, too. Thought I'd top it.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:12 PM
rick

I've done the drive from Chicago to Indy to Cinci to Lexington to London (KY) and it was very interesting. From the Cumberland Gap area (which is worth a stop) I can't imagine you'd after too much further to get to aShville.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:18 PM
Deb

Rick - Thanks! Do you remember how long it took to get there?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:39 AM
Jeff

I wonder if the suggestion to take I-55 to Memphis is to go around the mountains? I've never been down that way, so I'm just guessing.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 08:05 AM
billyjeff

I would take I-65 to Louisville, Ky
I-64 to Lexington, KY
I-75 to Knoxville
I-40 to Ashville

It does go thorugh the mountains but it is interstate so that is not a problem unless you get into fog.

It is a spectacular drive from London Ky to Ashville

It is also the quickest.