Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best room with a view in the States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-room-with-a-view-in-the-states-744143/)

Faye Oct 22nd, 2007 03:43 AM

Best room with a view in the States

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From your experiences, what is the best hotel view you had here in the States?

wildblueyonder Oct 22nd, 2007 04:30 AM

Oh, for me, probably from the Kachina Lodge, overlooking the Grand Canyon.

Also brilliant were Desert Pearl Inn, Springdale (view over Virgin River and beautiful mountains), view over Lake Union, from Silver Cloud Inn, Seattle - view over Lake Powell from Wahweap Lodge and view of sunset over the Pacific from the Pacifica Beach Resort, nr San Francisco (although the hotel was terrible)

BoniseA Oct 22nd, 2007 04:34 AM

The Marriott Marquis overlooking Times Square in NYC.

GoTravel Oct 22nd, 2007 08:54 AM

A corner room at the Mandarin Oriental NYC overlooking the city and Central Park.

nytraveler Oct 22nd, 2007 09:04 AM

Agree on the Mandarin Oriental suite overlooking Central Park.

(And you couldn't pay me to stay at the Mariott Marquis in dreaded Times Square.)

starrsville Oct 22nd, 2007 09:11 AM

You could pay me! :-)

A ground floor room just steps away from Old Faithful - and waking up to its eruptions during the middle of the night.

A lazy day in bed in Seattle with the Space Needle outside the window and watching the show of clouds coming in and out but not obscuring the Space Needle. It looked like a scene from the Jetsons. Room service breakfast, movies, naps. Left the room for dinner (Hyatt)

John Oct 22nd, 2007 09:59 AM

My bedroom overlooking Big Mountain ski area, Canadian Rockies and some of Glacier Park.
Whooops, not a hotel!!

beachbum Oct 22nd, 2007 10:13 AM

Crater Lake Lodge. The surf crashing on the beach and rocks below the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats, Oregon ain't bad either.

missypie Oct 22nd, 2007 10:36 AM

A few years ago we stayed at a B&B in Olympic National Park. The place used to be recommended on Frommers, but it isn't any more. The B&B itself was a disappointment....decor like someone's grandma's house (not in a good way!), scratchy towels, lack of parking lot and stairway lighting at night....BUT, the view of ONP was the best view I'll ever have anywhere!

oceankayaker7 Nov 17th, 2007 06:26 PM

Without a doubt my two favorites are the Mandarin Oriental in San Francisco( Bridge to Bridge Room) and The Post Ranch Inn is Big Sur..Ocean and Coast house rooms.
The Bridge to Bridge room in SF overs you sweeping views from the Golden Gate to the Bay Bridge. The middle view would be Alcatraz.
The Post Ranch rooms looks out into the Pacific and along the coast of Big Sur which to me nothing compares to this meeting of land and sea anywhere in the world

dawnnoelm Nov 18th, 2007 08:01 AM

huummm... a few - I loved our view from Casa Madronna Inn in Sausalito - over the bay - it was fantastic.

The view from the back of our rental home on the north shore of Hawaii was pretty amazing.

Frankly? The view from my desk in my bedroom :-)

beanweb24 Nov 18th, 2007 09:04 AM

The view from the Bali Cottage at the Cliffs Edge, Maui North shore.

www.cliffsedge.com

oceankayaker7 Nov 24th, 2007 07:48 PM

I forgot to mention the Inn above the Tide in Sausalito. Its far superior than the Casa Modrona.
The Mandarin Oriental in New York City offers a great view of Central Park, but beware that one should book a corner room or one close to the corner rooms as the Trump International building can partially obstruct the view of the park.

iamq Nov 24th, 2007 08:13 PM

The view of the Pacific Ocean from the Ocean House cottages at Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur.

britomart Nov 24th, 2007 10:42 PM

We stayed at the Highland Inn on San Juan Island on our wedding night. It has beautiful views overlooking the Haro Straits. Orcas pass by here in the winter.

Betsy Nov 25th, 2007 06:47 AM

Ocean view room at the Highlands Inn in Carmel is breathtaking.

NeoPatrick Nov 25th, 2007 07:42 AM

The view from our room over the lake at Crater Lake Lodge was pretty darned spectacular.

And at the risk of getting gasps, I still am awestruck at the bright lights looking up NYC's Broadway from a room in the Marriott Marquis with floor to ceiling, wall to wall windows.

Faye Dec 18th, 2007 03:23 AM

Stayed at the Casa Modrona in Sausalito and loved the view overlooking the harbor.

Thanks for all the places to check into for the future. Keep them coming!

cfntmpn Dec 18th, 2007 05:23 AM

From my balcony overlooking the ocean at the Ritz in Laguna Beach

AND...overlooking Lake Michigan at The Grand Hotel

garyt22 Dec 18th, 2007 06:51 AM

Enchantment in Sedona, Marina Dunes near Carmel, Motel6 in Odessa,TX.