Best restaurants in San Diego

Old May 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best restaurants in San Diego

I have a 15 and 20yr old traveling with me and my husband. We are staying overnight in San Diego. What is a restaurant that has great food and is entertaining? Any by the water?
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:15 PM

where will you be staying?

the hotel del coronado has a number of restaurants. i like the sheerwater in particular. it's reasonably priced, has good food and you can't beat the location. you can park at the hotel or on the street and enjoy the beach and a meal there. you can find a menu at the hotel del's website: www.hoteldel.com under resort dining.
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Georges at the Cove up in La Jolla - make resv; downtown in the Gaslight area there are several good ones; our fave is nearby up in Hillcrest (just north of Gaslight) called Kemosabe; they just opened a sister restaurant on water near airport; call Kemosabe for name of it! Her cuisine is fabulous, outstanding presentation, and so Californian. Mr. A's is excellent right downtown, avoid the Seaport Village area like the plague.
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM

I love the Hotel Del's Sunday brunch.

Otherwise, perhaps Old Town for dinner? Atmosphere is good, not near the water though.

I also like Chive and Kensington Grill. Again, not near the water.
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:01 PM
hsv

I second George's at the Cove on Prospect St. in La Jolla. Probably try their rooftop terrace. While the food is not as gourmet style as in their lower section, it is still upscale and inventive cuisine that comes at much more reasonable prices. Check:

http://www.georgesatthecove.com/

I also like Croce's in the Gaslamp in S.D. proper. Cuisine is not as upscale as at George's IMHO, but still quite good. Plus, they usually have nightly live jazz, which might make up for it being away from the water. Check:

http://www.croces.com/
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Not on the water, but the best steaks and seafood at Lou & Mickeys downtown.
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Third on George's at the Cove. Great place. I would also recommend Nine-Ten at the Grande Colonial in La Jolla.

I will also put in a good word for Dobson's Bar & Restaurant just west of the Gaslamp; superb Cal-Continental in a dark, cozy two-level space, narrow and intimate.
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM

you cannot go wrong with george's. i must say i like it better for lunch though. prices are very reasonable during the day and you can't beat the view!