best restaurants in North beach SF?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggestions? Moderate price, casual, reservations or no long waits please. Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:40 AM

While not Italian, Moose's is my favorite in the area. It is surprisingly reasonably priced for the type of place it is.
Very casual, also not Italian is the Washington Square Bar and Grill (nicknamed The Washbag).
To be honest, after eating at many of the Italian places there, I've sort of given up. None of them have seemed to match up to the many really better ones scattered around the city in my opinion.
L'Osteria de Forno is fun, but because everything is done in an oven, I've never been fond of a lot of their stuff, and the waits can be enormous there.
Thankfully Little City has now closed -- a place I found to be a complete rip-off, but highly recommended.
I think of Stinking Rose as nothing but a gimmicky tourist trap.
Buca Giovanni is good, but awfully pricey for what it is, in my opinion.
And Rose Pistola is good, but has way too much attitude and horrible service.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:41 AM

My favorite is Pinnochio's. I agree with Patrick; the Stinking Rose is not a good choice.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Has anyone tried Enrico's? We made reservations there for next weekend, based on online reviews. I believe that is in North Beach and Italian.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM

We also had lunch at Pinnochio's and it was excellent. There were five of us and we were all happy with our food. The service was a little sketchy, but it was OK. My son't pizza was forgotten, I believe, and by the time he got it the rest of us were almost finished. Also, my SIL was trying to build a lowcarb dish with their omelet suggestion and that became difficult so she ordered a salad. My dish, some pasta dish, can't remember, oh yea, roasted vegetables primavera, I think, was very good.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM

One of our favorites is Trattoria Contadina (Union and Mason). It fits your criteria - you should make a reservation...

We also like Moose's however the chef just left so who knows if the food will stay comparable.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:02 AM

I like Michaelangelo's. They have great food but HORRIBLE wine. The corkage is only $8-$9, stop at Coit Liquors on the corner if you want wine. They also bring a giant cheese wheel around for you to hack at. There can be a bit of a wait on Friday/Saturday nights.

Stinking Rose is horrible.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:03 AM

I'll second Contadino -- a really good restaurant. I almost mentioned it but didn't because I don't really consider that North Beach -- but very close.

Didn't know about the change at Moose, hopefully it won't deteriorate.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Kal

Hadn't been to Capp's Corner in years until this last April. Nice bar and still good Italian food.

Hit NoBeach Pizza 2 weeks ago. Still good, too.

Just read where our favorite little hole in the wall NoBeach restuarant is changing owners.."The Original US Restaurant".
As long as they keep the "Friday Calamari Special" on the menu, we'll be "campeggiatori felici".