Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best restaurant in NYC for boyfriend's birthday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to NYC for my boyfriend's birthday the first week of January. I want to take him somewhere nice for dinner but I know there are SO many choices and I am not too familiar with any of them. I was thinking of The View at the Marriott because I thought the location would be nice but I read some reviews that didn't sound very good. Any suggestions on the best place to go? I'm looking for a quiet, romantic atmosphere. Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:25 PM

The View may have a good view, but if you want a really great meal, you can do much better. As for romantic places, there are many, and there was a recent thread on this you can search for.
One if By Land has always been talked about as the "most romantic" restaurant. It is very nice, but I've always thought it was a bit overrated. If you give me the type of food you'd like, and the amount you want to spend, I can narrow it down and give some suggestions. Cafe des Artistes has always been called "romantic" and Aureole is also excellent; Daniel, La Grenouille are excellent french places.
If you narrow it down, I can help more.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for being willing to give me some ideas. As for the type of food we are pretty open. There is not much that we don't like. I am figuring on paying around $150 or so including a bottle of wine. Of course, I'm not sure if that's realistic in NY. Thanks for the input and I'll do a search for the recent thread you spoke of.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:05 AM

For special occasions, we always go to Le Bernadin for french seafood...

FABULOUS food- fixxed price- WITHOUT WINE it will run approx. $160 for 2

But this is one of THE best places in town...
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:10 AM

FYI - The View is scheduled to close (for how long, I don't know) sometime in January. You probably want to call to find out if they would be open at the time of your trip.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:21 AM

If you want great food, in that range, with a noisier atmosphere, I'd suggest Gramercy Tavern, the "Tavern Room" doesn't take reservations and you can get out for $150 with cocktails or a couple glasses of wine (incl. apps and dessert)

Another option is Blue Water Grill, a little quieter, request the jazz room for some live music. Jazz room can be a tough reservation but the upstairs is usually available. Definitely in your price range.

At the mid-range restaurants I often find there to be a tradeoff between food, atmospohere, and sometimes service. You can find good food in a noisy, bustling room, or mediocre food in a beatiful surrounding.

If you're into Indian, I found Goa (6th St.) to have a nice, dark, candlelit room.

You will get some better suggestions if you post on the Manhattan board at chowhound.com
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:24 AM
AES

I think $150 for 2 without wine might be a bit challenging if you're looking for a higher end restaurant. I suspect if you go with $150 without wine, you have many more options.

Our most outstanding meal ever was at Restaurant Daniel. You will blow through that budget pretty quickly (it's an $85 3 course prix fixe or a $100+ tasting menu), but our two visits have been outstanding.

We've been to the Aureole in Las Vegas and my father was equally impressed with the one in NY. Not sure what the price range would be there - the LV prix fixe was $60 for 3 courses.

Haven't been, but I've also heard great things about Le Bernadin as mentioned above.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:30 AM

You should also try Candela, near Union Square on 16th Street. Very nice candlelit, "gothic" style place, and it's in the price range you mentioned. The food is very good, the ambiance is even better. You should also check out Ermina on the upper east side--very romantic Italian place in your price range (maybe a bit more, but it's in that range). For any of these places (especially Ermina--it's small and very popular) make reservations as soon as possible. You can make multiple reservations always cancel the others once you make a final decision.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:30 AM

If you want a fantastic view of New York City and a romantic restaurant, you can't do better than The River Cafe. It's located under the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn and has the best view of Manhattan of any restaurant I know. It's also very romantic--between the candles and the view it can't be beat. The food is also excellent--it scores very high in the Zagat Survey--I think a 25 or 26. I believe the prix fixe dinner is about $70. Even though it's in Brooklyn, it's easy to get a cab there.
I would also second another poster's recommendation of Cafe de Artistes. I got engaged there, so I can vouch for it's romantic qualities.
Finally, I'd suggest La Caravelle, which is located on W. 55th Street. It's one of New York's three or four best French restaurants and has an excellent $48 pre-theater pre fixe menu.
Good luck!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:46 AM

My husband and I had a wonderfully romantic dinner for my birthday at One if by Land, Two if by Sea a year or so ago. The ambience, service and food were outstanding. We topped the evening off by a visit to the top of the Empire State Building, which was also a real treat.

I would suggest at least going to The View Lounge at the Marriott (if it's open) for a drink or two after dark. The view is really great.

Hope you enjoying your trip!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:03 AM
donnabee

We went to Daniel's about 2 years ago and thought it was was stuffy. Food was good, but didn't care for the service. It was funny, all the waiters have these nice french accents....one waiter went to a table near us and in his nice accent, he asked if they would like another martini - when he went in the back - we could hear him say to another waiter - get them a martini (in his nice thick NY accent!).

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:22 AM

No need to break your budget.
There are many wonderful restaurants on the Lower East Side and in the Village that offer fantastic food, as good as the above suggestions, but not at tourist/midtown prices (in other words, within your budget). Two that come to mind are "Home" and "Le Gigot", both on Cornelia Street. "Suba" is another very cool option on Ludlow Street, as is "WD-50" on Clinton Street.

You didn't mention your ages, but these restaurants offer a younger vibe than the grand ole eateries such as Le Bernardin, Gramercy Tavern, etc. I strongly suggest you stay away from Times Square.

Good Luck & Enjoy!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:19 AM
jja

I being a 40 old male would pick a steak house. Not as romantic but if I have a cloice between a giant prime steak or small french portion, I would go with Steak.
For me I would like Sparks. You can go to the Marriott before or after for drinks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:52 AM

I would agree with gekko, some of the restaurants metioned above are a little on the stuffy side. If you want something a little more hip, go downtown to someplace like Balthazar or WD-50. Or even Gramercy Tavern, it's top notch. If you want a view, skip the Marriot and head over to the new Time Warner Center on Columbus Circle, the new restaurant and bar, Asiate, just openend up. You'll get a spectacular view from up there of the city and central park.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:31 AM

Gramercy Tavern or Craft.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM
mp

The "new" Italian place, L'impero has a wonderful prix fixe deal - three courses for $48 - and it's a terrific 3 courses. Very NY, cool place, in the pretty neighborhood of Tudor City (near the UN). Would make a special birthday, I think. the chowhound.com idea is a good one, too.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:36 AM
GoTravel

I'm going to get yelled at for suggesting this but my husbands favorite place in Manhattan is the ESPN Zone. It is such a testoterone haven and serves up 'guy' food along side the zillion TVs that are blasting a zillion different games.

As far as good food and romance, March but your $150 will be without wine.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I don't mean to sound naive but I am not familiar with the "prix fixe" menu. What exactly does that mean? I can make an assumption as to what it is just by the term but I want to be sure I understand. Also, for those of you who mentioned the age factor we are both 28.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:07 PM

Prix fixe refers to a "fixed price" meal, usually 3 courses and not including drinks. Prix fixe meals can be a great deal, but often the choices are limited (generally not an open menu, for obvious reasons).

28 years old, okay, now we're talkin'. Definitely get yourselves downtown to the West or East Village or Lower East Side. You'll get much more for your money and in a much cooler atmosphere.

Suggestion: When you call for a reservation, request a quiet table if that's what you're looking for.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:12 PM

Some great suggestions- I'd go to Gramercy Tavern in a heartbeat, Union Square Cafe (but not the most romantic), Artisinal if you like fondue, Craft. Unfortunately $150 might be a low range. You might be able to do Tribeca Grill for that. Prix Fix is when you pay a set price and choose from different choices within each category (usually app, main, dessert. SOme have a cheese course, and some selections you have to pay a little extra for at times). Gramercy Tavern has Prix-Fix menus. Craft is all a-la carte which can drive the price up because it is hard to resist ordering extra sides. Where are you coming from ? If you are in NJ theer are some great choices that are romantic and maybe a little less pricey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -