Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Restaurant for NY Lunch? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-restaurant-for-ny-lunch-401588/)

bosco Feb 20th, 2004 12:01 PM

Best Restaurant for NY Lunch?

I posted a few days ago asking about the best place to go for a nice but casual lunch in New York. My husband and I will be coming in for the day and will be around the Upper East Side (East 70th Street). Thanks to comments from this board, I have a few places to choose from. Restaurant does not have to be on the uppereast side but should be in walking distance (15-20 minutes). If you had to choose between the Park Avenue Cafe, Grace's Trattoria, Caffe Bianco, Cafe des Artistes and Cite, where would you go? Or should we do the tourist thing and go to Tavern on the Green? Any other choices would be helpful. Do not want seafood or heavy french food. Nice atmosphere but casual dress.

monpetit Feb 20th, 2004 12:05 PM

Café des artistes is very romantic and
food is of great variety.
Park avenue cafe have perhaps more original food (particulary the "chocolate's" desert, but the decor is not great...
In Upper east side for a good "food's" experience there is "Etats Unis", very casual,with great food.
Erik Monpetit.

mp Feb 20th, 2004 12:44 PM

Wow - I'm surprised at the post about the Park Avenue Cafe on E.63rd St.- granted it's been a while since I was last there, but I think it's a lovely space, very NY - upscale, terrific decor and food - but it is expensive. . . .maybe the poster is thinking of . . . some other place?
Graces Trattoria is really just a small neighborhood place with good food not much atmosphere .. . Caffe Bianco I've never heard of and can't find in Zagats; Cafe Des Artists is a wonderful, romantic, gracious, big deal restaurant, again pricey; Cite is a more midtown, bustling, business lunch oriented place . . . but the food is good, French bistro type. How about: Lumi on Lex and 70th St. good food, "ladies who lunch" atmosphere; or Annies at 3rd avenue and 79th St? Annies' food is ok - keep it simple and you'll have a good time; or try Willow - 73rd and Lexington - quiet, good service, competent food . . .

lisettemac Feb 20th, 2004 01:03 PM

If you don't want heavy French food, then I think Cafe Des Artistes is not the place for you.

Lumi is a great idea. I don't think the food at Annie's is that good and it's pretty casual. I'll throw out a couple of other suggestions. If you don't want seafood, Atlantic Grill is out, but Orsay is wonderful and French bistro, not really heavy. Centolire is wonderful Italian food with great service and a nice atmosphere. For something more casual, how about Serafina (brick oven pizzas, pastas) nice atmosphere and lovely in good weather since they can open the awning on the upstairs level.

travleis Feb 20th, 2004 02:08 PM

I can vouch for Park Avenue Cafe being a solid option for a nice lunch without too much formality. The decor is Americana, so it's not chi-chi or trendy. It's light and warm feeling. But I'll agree it's not memorable, just cozy.
Service is generally good and the clientele tend toward the old money crowd and tourists.
Food is good and menu varied.

I'd definitely skip Tavern On The Green.

monpetit Feb 20th, 2004 09:38 PM

I'mnot thinking on an another place...
Or PAC have changed since I was there,
4 years ago, but it's a large "room",
very "noisy", without "intimity",
bright...good to see and to be seen...
Food is terrific, but I preferr for a
lunch with my wife the cafe des artistes, small rooms, small spaces,
with a more classic food, not only french but also american one and so
romantic...
In Upper east side another good spot for the decor is PJ Clarke's but food is
under the others adress, even it has been ameliorated since reopening and why not to think about the Oyster bar at
grand central...Room is large, but site is original.
Erik Monpetit