Best Prime Rib? Both $$$$ and $$

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Prime Rib? Both $$$$ and $$

Visited Lawry's in LV some years ago and loved the food. but hated the bill the next day. Anyone have suggestions that might not be so price shocking, or a recommendation that will be pricey, but won't disappoint?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM

The House of Prime Rib in San Francisco. If you have a big appetite, try the king cut. Their second slice brings the total cost down.

Don't know the cost as a colleague paid. But, the crowd was a fairly broad mix. So I imagine the prices aren't outrageous.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:20 PM

When you see a briad-based clientele chowing on "supposedly" good prime rib, it's a dead giveawway that people go there for the low price rather than the hedonism.

I live in the Bay Area and we know that this one is patronized by those who goes for mass quantity, average-tasting and service as it really is, rather than quality.

As a sugggestion, the prime rib dinner at Barnaby Coast in Vegas (yes, the mediocre hotel) has had good reviews.

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM

The Prime Rib at Lucky's at the Hard Rock is pretty good and was about $14...
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
iceeu2

jk, for the best prime rib..come to my house! Superb! We have it every Christmas for sure and any other time we want a really special dinner.

Want to know how to cook it?

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:01 PM

I would love a recipe! thanks iceeu2!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:20 PM
iceeu2

Oh, goodie, joan...my sister gave me this years ago...and it is fool proof!

You will need 4 or more lbs or prime rib...I usually just buy a whole ribeye(without the bone)....8-12 lbs or so depending on how many people you are serving....If you like the bone, then buy a standing rib roast...anyway, here's how you cook it/

Bring the beef to room temp. If a standing rib, put it rib side down, on rack in a shallow roasting pan.

Roast at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
Turn off oven..Do NOT open the oven door, but leave roast in oven.

About 1 hour before dinner, turn oven back on at 375 and cook for 30 minutes to an hour. The time depends on the size of the roast and how done you want it....30 minutes will usually give you medium rare...I usually just cook for the 30 mins and if anyone wants it cooked more, throw it on the grill or George Foreman.

Remove it to a hot platter and let stand 15 mins before carving.

Start the roast around 11 am for dinner..And my sister says if your roast is more than 10 lbs. you should increase your roasting time for an hour...Just go ahead and use your meat thermometer to check how done it is.

Hope you have a convection oven for your potatoes or top of the stove asparagus, etc....

You will love this...I found a little bottle of Johnny's AuJus and you just add water and serve on the side..We also always mix sour cream and horseradish to dip in.

Good luck...it's too easy..my hard to please son-in-law thinks it is the absolute best!

Just be sure to NOT let anyone open the oven door all day!

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:48 PM

thanks you iceeu2!
Now if I can just stop myself from opening that oven door...hehe