Search

Best Possible 5 days in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Possible 5 days in Alaska

Hi,
I need your suggestions regarding the following itinerary. I understand that this is a rushed tour but I don't have much choice, so want to make best use of these 5 days n Alaska

Day 0 - reaching Anchorage late night, stay
Day 1. - Seward train and Kenai fords 6 hr tour. Is it worth taking the 9 hr trip?
Day 2 - leave early morning for Denali, do an afternoon bus tour (which one shud I take?) , stay at Fairbanks - hoping to catch some Northern Lights
Day 3 - full day Denali NP, which bus tour shud I take? stay at Fairbanks - hoping to catch some Northern Lights
Day 4 - do the best possible scenic route from Fairbanks to anchorage, if possible via Valdez
Day 5 - I only have time till Noon since my flight is at 2 PM, Wht shud I do? - flight seeing ??

I am deeply into photography and love driving so can manage long drives.
Also, can/shud I squeeze the Kenai peninsula drive to Homer by skipping anything else? Is there a way to go to Homer and drive back to Anchorage via a different route?

Since I will be traveling in the 1st week of Sep, which place wud be my best bet for "Fall colors" photography?

Please share some existing posts if that can be helpful as well.

Thanks
Manish
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM

That is a lot of driving. I would forget Fairbanks and spend the time in Denali and the Kenai Peninsular.

We were there at that time of year and saw wonderful animals and beautiful tundra turning fall colors in Denali. Take the earliest and longest trip into the park that you can. We saw no northern lights in Fairbanks when we were thare.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:46 PM

I agree with emalloy. Skip Fairbanks and spend more time in Kenai Fjords or Denali. With the Kenai Fjords, spend the most time on the water that you possibly can (allow a full day to make the most of it), there is so much marine wildlife, it is wonderful. Loved the seals on icebergs around Ailak Glacier.

I really think in five days you should stick to Denali and Kenai Fjords and maybe stop overnight in between the two at Palmer and check out the Independence Mine State Historical Park. It will be a more enjoyable trip with time for more time for pullovers, otherwise you will be spending too much time in the car and missing a lot.

Cheers,
Tracey
www.dreamhorsemedia.com/travel/
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks your suggestion. I wish I had the luxury of time to go for a more “feasible” vacation
This is how my revised plan looks. Since I only have around a week before my travel, will really appreciate some ideas from everyone, Thanks Again

Day 0 - reaching Anchorage late night, take rental and stay at Anchorage

Day 1 – Leave early morning for Denali, do an afternoon bus tour to the Eielson Visitor Center, stay overnight at Denali

Day 2 – Early Morning drive till Savage Campground, Denali and do some photography, then drive towards Fairbanks. Do the Aurora Fly/Drive Tour, starts from Fairbanks at 1 PM. Return by early morning 3 AM, stay Fairbanks

Day 3 – Leave in the morning for Anchorage – Richardson Hwy – take the detour at Paxton for a few miles on the Denali Hwy till the paved road, then return back and take the Glenn Hwy towards Anchorage. Which points on the Glenn Hwy would be good for Photography? Stay overnight at Anchorage

Day 4 – Seward train and Kenai fords 6 hr tour. Stay overnight at Anchorage

Day 5 – Leave early morning for Girdwood/Portage. How different will the Portage Glacier Boat Tour be, considering that I just did the Kenai Fords tour on Day 4 ? Return and catch 2 PM flight from Anchorage
OR
Day 5 – Flattop Hike at Anchorage and/or 1 hr Flightseeing tour. Catch 2 PM flight from Anchorage

Thanks
Manish
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM

You DO NOT want the 6 hour tour. You want the Full Tour that goes all the way to the glaciers. You won't be bored. We saw tons of wildlife going to/from.

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's possible to do the train and Kenai Fjords tour all in a single day.

Personally, I think your trying to do way to much for just 4.5 days. Pick Denali or the stuff south of Anchorage. Either would be great.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 04:06 AM

To drive to Denali from Anchorage and then do the bus tour to Eielson is way too much driving in one day and will not give you a chance to spend time around Eielson. Allow a FULL day for the Eielson trip so you can walk around the area and actually take it in. I assume you realise just from Denali Visitor Centre to Eielson is an 8 hour return trip without even factoring in time for some walking and soaking up the scenery.

I agree with spirobulldog - do the full day Kenai Fjords Tour - amazing. If you do that tour and get to go to Ailak Glacier or Northwestern, then you won't need to do Portage Glacier (especially given your timelines).

Denali, Kenai Fjords and the road trip along the Seward Highway are fantastic for photo opportunities. There are so many scenic pull outs on the Seward Highway, so allow a lot of extra time for that drive between Anchorage and Seward.

Some of the pics from my trip are on my website with articles at www.dreamhorsemedia.com/travel

Give yourself time to enjoy the scenery and take pics - I hope the weather is good for you.