Best Portland Hotel for only 1 night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will only be able to stay in Portland for one night on our way to Cannon Beach. Would like a place we could walk around and see the city from our hotel and walk to someplace nice to eat. Any suggestions?o
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM

RiverPlace Hotel. Great shopping in the back of the hotel and more shopping/restaurants just few blocks away in downtown Portland.

Wonderful hotel, beautiful rooms, many with a great view of the river, great friendly service.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM

I'd stay in a more central location than Riverplace with just one night (well, with more than one night, too). I'd go for something right in the center of things, like the Monaco or the Nines.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM

I agree, I would opt for a more central location and also agree on the Monaco. Even though we live here, we stay overnight in downtown for special events and really enjoy the Monaco. Location cannot be beat, the hotel is very nice, and the staff are very helpful.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Monaco (it was called something else in 2006) and it was a delight. I remember the suite was very large, with a sliding curtained door that closed for privacy between the main room and the sitting area. Also had wine in the afternoon in the lobby, gratis for guests. It was close to the river, and close to just about everything. Great experience. Also liked the fact that Oregon had NO SALES TAX!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Are the riverwalk area and mid city a totally different place? Someone suggested to me to stay along the river. That is where Saturday market is and the best restaurants and shopping. We will have limited time, so we will want to be able to walk to shops/restaurant without driving. The Hotel Monaco sounds wonderful, but is there shopping close by?
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM

The Monaco is in the heart of the shopping area. The river splits the city, and the Riverplace is a hotel that is on the water, but removed from the heart of downtown. From the Monaco to the Saturday Market is a very short stroll.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Riverplace is about 15 blocks from Saturday Market; Monaco is about 5 blocks from Saturday Market; a really easy walk and you can stop at Voodoo Donuts!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyones help! It's so hard to decide when you haven't been to a place. I will probably reserve the Monaco.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Riverplace is in what I call a manufactured area. the tore down whatever wharehouse were there, then built the hotel and some chain restaurants to take advantage of being on the river. It is listed as downtown, but is really more south of downtown proper. Don't let them put you in a highway-side room, as the view is ugly and the rooms noisy.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM

There is a free streetcar that runs every few minutes. Stops right at the RiverPlace Hotel and will get you downtown in just few minutes. Besides, I only used it on the return. In the morning I walked along the beautiful river walk park and then inward to the downtown area. Wasn't a big deal, but I did get little tired exploring the downtown area so I used the free streetcar to get back.

I just think the location, the surrounding area is much nicer than being in the heart of downtown. Just try to picture any centrally located downtown hotel in a larger city and you will know what I mean.

With the river walk park and beautiful views of the river from the restaurant/bar/patio, and many of the rooms, you will find little bit more tranqulity after a long day of running around. JMHO.

Nothing wrong with Monaco, I just prefer the RiverPlace.

Have a great time wherever you stay.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

If we stay at the Monaco, any suggestions of good places to eat that are within walking distance? We like seafood, italian, & mexican.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 06:44 AM

The Monaco has a great onsite restaurant, the Red Star Tavern. The good thing about downtown is that even if you look at a map and think you may not want to walk to a spot, our blocks here are short and the area is pretty compact so walking is a breeze. For seafood, my two favorite spots are Southpark Seafood and Fenouil. For Italian go to Piazza Italia. I don't do much mexican so can't help with that. Another place that is good and a short walk from the Monaco is Mother's Bistro which is famous for its breakfasts, but lunch and dinners are very good too. The owner also has a place on the same block, Mama Mia's Trattoria, which is good.

The biggest problem you will have will be to narrow down all your options
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mms for the recommendations! It looks like we will have an extra day. Trying to decide if we should spend it in Portland or go on down and spend it in Cannon Beach on the ocean. We love the ocean, but I don't want to miss out on something we should have done in Portland. It sounds like you really know the area. Any opinions?
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM

mms's suggestions for seafood and breakfast are good ones, I also really like Bijou for breakfast (just a few blocks from the Monaco).

For Italian: On my recent trip to Portland I had a really good pasta dish at Bar Mingo on NW 21st--the original plan was to wait there for a table next door at Caffe Mingo but this pasta dish caught my eye so I just stayed at Bar Mingo, and it was really good (the two places are affiliated but have different menus). Easiest to take the streetcar (walk over to 10th to catch it from the Monaco).

It's been a while since I've been but I've had a couple good Italian meals at Fratelli in the Pearl.

You might also want to check out the food carts at Alder and 10th for a casual lunch, lots of great looking options although the ones I really wanted to try were closed when I was there so I don't have any first hand recommendations (this probably won't work for you but for others heading to PDX, I ended up driving over to the Flavour Spot in the Mississippi Ave area for a waffle "taco" which was awesome).

I also did the Epicurian Excursion offered by Portland Walking Tours while I was there and thought that was great! Weekends only.

How many days will you have in Cannon Beach?
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Wonderful information, just now looking for a place to stay one night on our way to Cannon Beach as well! We are in Cannon Beach for two nights if NWWanderer has any tips for us I'd love to hear them.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

We will have three nights in Cannon Beach and will be staying at Ocean Lodge or Schooners Cove. Any suggestions on places to dine.