Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   best plays New York (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-plays-new-york-735530/)

carioca Sep 10th, 2007 01:37 PM

best plays New York

Hello
We will be in New York for two weeks beginning October 16.Once again I ask your advice about good plays , and also one or two musicals.
Thank you

HowardR Sep 10th, 2007 01:54 PM

For straight plays, you have a choice of three revivals, all of which open for previews soon:
Cyrano de Bergerac (starring Kevin Kline and Jennifer Garner)
Pygmalion (starring Claire Danes, Jefferson Mays and Boyd Gaines)
The Ritz (starring Rosie Perez)
As for musicals, what have you seen and where do your tastes run?

ChgoGal Sep 10th, 2007 01:58 PM

You may just be able to catch "August: Osage County" at the Imperial Theatre. This dark, yet very funny, play begins on 10/30/07. It played here in Chicago at the Steppenwolf and it was wonderful -- sure to win some Tonys. Trust me -- this is an amazing play. Hope you can be among the first to catch it there in NY.

SusieQQ Sep 10th, 2007 02:59 PM

If you haven't been to Drowsy Chaperone I highly reocmmend it.

carioca Sep 10th, 2007 03:22 PM

Hi
We have last been to New York in May 2006.We did not see the new musicals that opened since then.
We really enjoy straight plays better than musicals but we loved Spamalot.We didīt see Wicked, Drowsy Chaperone.
I also would like to know if we should buy tickets in advance for any of the plays.

nyer Sep 10th, 2007 03:49 PM

If there are any "must sees" on your list, buy tickets now. Some shows are rarely discounted and some are almost always sold out,like Jersey boys. Look for advance discounts on playbill.com, theatermania.com and seasonofsavings.com. They all seem to have Drowsy Chaperone discounted
All of those allow you to buy tickets in advance or at the box office when you get here.
Musicals tend to be more popular with tourists and can be harder to get, in general. Straight plays are often (not always)easier to get. If you are here for 2 full weeks, you can probably safely wait to get tickets for most of those

abram Sep 10th, 2007 05:19 PM

At the TKTS booth, there is a separate line for straight plays, which often moves quite quickly.

meohare Sep 10th, 2007 05:54 PM

I recently saw Curtains, Spamalot, Legally Blond. Saw these too: Momma Mia, Hairspray, Jersey Boys. All very good. The new hot one is Mel Brooks Young Frankenstein. They will be in previews when you are there. Try to order tickets online before you go. This site has good coupons.
www.broadwaybox.com

trippinkpj Sep 10th, 2007 06:25 PM

Glad to see this post. My daughter and I are going on a long weekend to NYC in early November. We'll need to reasearch which ones we are interested. We may check out whats available at TKTS when we get there. We like both plays and musicals.

NeoPatrick Sep 10th, 2007 06:32 PM

Regarding buying seats in advance or waiting, do you care how good your seats are? Let's face it, any popular show is going to sell a lot of ticket between now and mid October. The seats you'd buy for any show today are going to be considerably better seats that will be left over a month from now.

Using broadwaybox or other discounts, you can still get "best available" seats now with the coupons. Certainly better seats than by waiting.

asyouare405 Sep 16th, 2007 05:52 AM

Along with the plays mentioned above there are are a lot of plays being put on in NYC, but aren't "on Broadway"

Check out http://www.theatermania.com/content/...?int_city_id=1 for a complete list of shows on or going on in New York. There is a key telling what type of event every event is and the dates it will be performed.

karens Sep 16th, 2007 02:22 PM

I'll bet I haven't seen half of the plays that the posters here have seen, so I would defer to their recommendations.

But I did want to say that 7 of us went to see Wicked last year and every one of us LOVED it.

desertduds Sep 16th, 2007 03:43 PM

In July we saw Drowsy Chaperone, Hairspray and Altar Boyz(off Broadway)....all great....previously we'd seen Mamma Mia, absolutely wonderful too.....

artlover Sep 16th, 2007 03:52 PM

My daughter and I are also going to be here during this time. Don't know if you're an opera lover or not, but we are, and got tickets for Carmen on Oct. 20 (New York City Opera).

carioca Oct 6th, 2007 04:12 AM

Hello
Last minute advice.
We will be travelling in a week to NY and staying till October 31st.Would you have any other straight plays to recomend?
Thanks.

NeoPatrick Oct 6th, 2007 06:25 AM

Carioca, go to playbill.com and look at the OffBroadway listings. This will give you some synopisis and ideas of the shows.

Some particularly interesting things are:
The Feminine Ending starring Marsha Mason at Playwright's Horizon.

Serenity

The Overwhelming at the Laura Pels

The Receptionist as Manhattan Theatre Club.

You might also consider Broadway previews of The Farnsworth Invention with Hank Azaria which begins previews on Oct. 15.

Or Mauritius with F. Murray Abraham.

carioca Oct 6th, 2007 08:27 AM

Hi NeoPatrick
Thank you . I could not find anything about Serenity.Do you know where it is playing?

NeoPatrick Oct 6th, 2007 10:39 AM

Duh. Serenity? Huh? No wonder you couldn't find it. I meant Scarcity -- playing at the Atlantic Theatre Company.