Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best plate lunch on Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-plate-lunch-on-maui-222837/)

locals May 20th, 2002 01:59 PM

Best plate lunch on Maui?

I lived on Oahu for four years during high school, now I'm going back (15 years later) to Maui with my husband (his first time in Hawaii). One thing I still miss is eating a plate lunch after a morning swimming and surfing at the beach . . . YUM. Where is the best plate lunch on Maui? Thanks, can't wait to return to paradise.

curious May 20th, 2002 03:56 PM

Just curious - what is a plate lunch and what makes it so memorable?

locals May 29th, 2002 11:02 AM

A typical plate lunch might be a scoop of sticky rice with an egg or hamburger patty on top, gravy, macaroni salad and a little fresh fruit. You buy them at small stands or restaurants, the food is plain but very very good, not cafeteria style . . . it may not be too good for you but after working up an appetite swimming and surfing, nothing tastes better!

yuck May 29th, 2002 12:45 PM

That description did nothing for my appetite. I guess surfing must make any food look good. Sticky rice, a burger and macaroni salad. Sounds like a bad potluck at a family reunion.

Patty May 29th, 2002 02:10 PM

A plate lunch can also be something other than a burger patty with gravy. It can be basically anything from teri chicken to mahi mahi or kalua pork, but yes it usually comes with a scoop of rice and scoop of macaroni salad.

Laura May 29th, 2002 02:23 PM

mmmmmmm plate lunch, goooooodddd. You brought back memories of my trip to Kealani for a wedding -- AWESOME plate lunches nearby the resort but I couldn't tell you a name.

locals May 29th, 2002 03:12 PM

"yuck yuck," that's why I'm looking for LOCALS to respond to this question. If you haven't had a plate lunch, your opinion ain't worth squat. Of course it sounds bad to you . . . but you haven't really lived.

BeenThere May 29th, 2002 04:49 PM

I've had a number of plate lunches while in Oahu and Maui and none of them have been memorable enough to even remember a name or location. If I never had to have another, it would be too soon.

brian May 29th, 2002 07:59 PM

sudas's for loco moco or alexanders for fresh ahi, ono or wahoo or calamari plus fries and mac salad for about 6 bucks aloha

p. May 29th, 2002 08:13 PM

Surely you left out the Spam ? <BR>Did Spam fritters (fried/battered Spam)ever catch on in Hawaii ?<BR>I haven't had them for 35 years or so but the memory is positive !

plate lunch May 29th, 2002 11:02 PM

Eat more than one meal in the Islands and you will no doubt find yourself face-to-fork with the ubiquitous "plate lunch." Hawai'i's version of fast food, the plate lunch is inexpensive (usually less than $7), made to travel (to the beach, at least) and meant to satisfy even the healthiest of hungers.<BR>These build-your-own masterpieces begin with a solid foundation of starch, inevitably including rice (white or brown) and a choice of macaroni or potato salad. From there, the options are nearly boundless, but usually include a choice of several types of barbecued pork and beef (mild Chinese char siu pork and tangy Korean kalbi ribs among them); chicken done adobo (braised), katsu (breaded and fried) or teriyaki style; lomilomi salmon (served salted and chilled, Mexican ceviche style) and more.<BR>Every kama'aina (local) on every island has his or her favorite plate lunch shop, but a few good places to start are Honolulu's Ono Hawaiian Foods (for an emphasis on indigenous dishes), Hilo's Caf&eacute; 100 (home of the original "Loco Moco"), Lahaina's Aloha Mixed Plate (superb shoyu chicken), Lihu'e's Fish Express (try the 'ahi katsu) and Kaunakakai's Big Daddy's Store & Restaurant

Kristin May 30th, 2002 09:03 PM

Loved the Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina- the beef teriyaki is awesome!