Best places to visit in California?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recommendations anyone? For couple of about 50 (kids in college). We'll probably be going in late September or early October, and we would go to 2 or 3 places for several days each. We've been to SF a couple of times, San Diego once. Also been to Tahoe & Yosemite briefly. Any of those places would be great to go to again, but maybe there are others we should consider too? We like to get off the beaten path, we like cities, especially older ones, we like the mountains and the beach.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:40 PM

I would not miss the Carmel/Monterey area. These places are very close to one another and would be easy to visit both places. Pacific Grove is also in this area and a very pretty place to stay.

Santa Barbara is also very nice, have you been there before? We just returned from 3 nights in South Lake Tahoe, such a beautiful place, it had been awhile since we had visited and vowed to spend more time here in the future. Already planning a snowboard trip to Heavenly next winter, we want to stay in a 2 bedroom villa with a few of our kids, at the Marriott Timber Lodge.

Enjoy your trip and your travel research! ***kim***
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Santa Barbara is beautiful. I think the fall would be a great time to go!
Another place I would recommend is Palm Springs. It is very different from other parts of the state. You could go to Joshua Tree National Park and also the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:26 PM

While I ditto the mid-coast suggestions, I'd add staying in the quaint town of Cambria and checking out Hearst Castle.

The upper coast of Mendocino and the drive through the redwoods is gorgeous too. Of course that's a trek. Have a great trip!
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Since you've only briefly visited Yosemite I would certainly stay there a couple of days. Further you have the Monterrey/CArmel region. For kids I also think a visit to the Winchester mystery house in San Jose would be a fine.Paul
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely check out Santa Barbara - have not been there before. Is the Hearst Castle near there?
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Hearst castle is probably 150 miles north of Santa Barbara in San Simeon.

My wife & I toured CA on our honeymoon, starting in San Diego and finishing in San Francisco.

1. San Diego (2 nights): Zoo, Old Town, Tijuana.

2. LA (2 nights) Hollywood, Universal Studios

3. Solvang (1 night) Neat little Danish town. Next to Buellton, which was featured in the movie Sideways.

4. San Simeon (1 night) Hearst Castle is an all day event. There are several tours that cover different parts of the castle. You can comfortably do 2 in a day.

5. Carmel/Monterey (2 nights) Cannery Row, 17 mile drive, Pebble Beach, Aquarium, shopping.

6. San Francisco (3 nights)

7. Napa (1 or 2 nights)
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:34 AM

If you go to southern California; also add Laguna Beach-wonderful ocean area, along with Newport Beach, Dana Point. The desert areas of Palm Springs, Palm Desert etc. are still rather hot in September.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:35 AM

We visited California last month and the hghlights for us were Napa/Sonoma and the scenery from Carmel south to Big Sur.

In Wine Country, we drove up through Napa, did some tastings, and stayed in Healdsburg. Healdsburg was great, and there were so many wineries close by.

In Carmel, you should visit Point Lobos and then head south to Big Sur. The scenery is spectacular. Julia Pfeiffer State Park is a must see as well.

There are many threads with more details, but we loved both areas.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM

I like Ucon's plan, also you could do inland San Diego county such as Temecula. It will be warmer than SD but not as hot as Palm Springs.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:24 AM

It sounds like you have zoned in on Santa Barbara. There's a lot to do in that area including visiting missions, touring the wine country, and seeing the awesome central coast.

One place not to miss is Mission La Purisima Conception in Lompoc. This is a state park and the museum and grounds are beatutiful.

Also, if you like nature and gorgeous scenery, head out to the Channel Islands for a day. Info at:

http://www.islandpackers.com/contact.html

Also, one of our favorite places to stay is in Shell Beach just north of Pismo Beach. Here you can find rooms that overlook the ocean and make sure you dine at McClintocks.

Pismo itself and the Oceana Dunes are wonderful and can easily take a couple of days to explore.

By the way, the end of September and early October is usually the best time of year in Central California.
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM

If you are consiering the L.A. area I would suggest staying in Santa Monica..a beach city, 130 years old with an Historic Pier. If you are there on Saturday morning there are walking tours of the historic downtown. Meet at the American Youth Hostel at 1436 2nd Street at 10:a.m.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
GP

Hi smetz

Off the beaten path? Very little south of San Francisco is off the beaten path and worth seeing. I agree with Codysmom. Try the coast north of San Francisco. Places like Bodega, Bolinas, Sea Ranch up to Mendocino. There is some history up this way. If you want to really get of the beaten path come up to the “real” north coast in Humboldt and Del Norte counties to check out the redwoods.

Have Fun
GP
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I just discovered the beachtown of Capitola- it is just a few miles south of Santa Cruz on Monterey Bay. I thought it was a cute beach town- lots of shops, restaurants on the water - cant wait to go back!!
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM

My recommendations would echo HenryR's:
Napa Valley/Sonoma
Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur/Point Lobos
But, if you would like something off the typical tourist path, try Gold Country (Highway 49). Taking HWY 80 to Sacramento, then Hwy 50, head NORTH on Highway 49 to see gold discovery sites, old town Auburn, Grass Valley, Nevada City and further if you desire.
Or you could head South on Hwy 49 for a different experience.
In Grass Valley there is Empire Mine State Park - fascinating - and many, many interesting places to see in beautiful country. Check out a guide book, explore on the Internet. You could even tie this trip into a return visit to Lake Tahoe or Yosemite.
Have fun planning!
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM

Fly into SF, rent a car and drive to the Carmel/Monterey area and stay for a couple days. Drive Hwy 1 stopping at the sights along the way and ending with a night around Hearst Castle. Tour the castle the next day and spend the next couple nights in the Morro Bay/ San Louis Obispo / Solvange area seeing the sights, wine tasting or whatever. Drive to Santa Barbara area and stay a couple nights. Get up early your last day and stop to see the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley on your way to LAX to drop the rental and fly home. This trip hits all the points you mentioned.
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:10 PM

The Marin, Sonoma and/or Mendocino coasts. Amazing scenery. That is the perfect time to visit. I second the Sea Ranch suggestion. Several days there would be heaven.