Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One way Car Rentals - pick up/drop off in different states. Watch out!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We started to plan a road trip from Denver to Phoenix going to a bunch of parks and Vegas. But at least one car rental place wanted a $400 fee to drop the car in a different state! We are now doing a loop starting in Denver through several parks in Colorado and Utah, to Salt Lake City, then Cheyenne and back to Denver and then FLYING to Phoenix (for $96 each) and then renting a car from Phoenix and finishing the road trip from there: Phoenix - Bryce Canyon, Zion, Vegas and Phoenix.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:31 PM

My friend rented a car in Denver two weeks ago to drive to Grand Junction, also in Colorado. Bad weather in the mountains made him think about leaving the car in Grand Junction and flying back to Denver.

When he heard that the dropoff fee was somewhere north of $560, he changed his mind. We have run into similar high dropoff fees in the same state in Montana, and apparently Las
Vegas is notorious.

So your title should be "One Way Car Rentals. Watch Out Everywhere!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:44 PM

As soon as we start even thinking about a rd trip, I start looking at car rentals and keep at it until we leave, making reservations and then canceling when a better offer comes up. A few weeks ago, I lucked out with Enterprise and got an SUV for 15 days on a one way rental Phoenix to Denver for $648 including all taxes and fees and no charge for am additional driver bcs I joined their "club" which was free. I had made 3 other reservations over a period of a few mos with different companies starting at $1800 - $1,000 and just stumbled on this one. So, sometimes you luck out and sometimes you don't. Having lots of lead time and being persistent helps.

It sounds like you handled the situation well. Have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM

If you can change your loop, check costs for flying to Vegas and out of Phoenix. It has been much cheaper for me to rent a car in Vegas, hundreds of $.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do your Denver rental as planned returning to Denver.
Take the California Zephyr from Denver to Grand Junction and rent a car there to see the Utah Parks, Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Unless you have some compelling reason to go to Phoenix other than renting a car, skip it for this trip.
If you buy your Amtrak tickets early enough the fare each way is about $60 each between Denver and Grand Junction.
The Zephyr leaves Denver about 8AM and gets to Grand Jct. about 4PM. I love riding the train through the Glenwood Canyon above the Colorado River.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM

The one-way dropoff fee is fairly well known, and it is important to ask when considering booking a one-way rental car.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
And my question is why are you going to Bryce and Zion from Phoenix instead of when you're in the area of Salt Lake City?

It's closer.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Glad to hear so many know about the drop-off fees. I did know the fees existed, but I had assumed the fee would be less than flying! WRONG! For those of you who wonder why we're going to Phoenix - we are visiting friends there for a few days. There IS a method in my madness!
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:37 AM

Fees for one-way rentals vary from 0 to ridiculous and have to do with demand for cars in one area versus another. We rented a car in Las Vegas in the summer and paid no one-way fee to drop it off in California - they did not want cars in NV for the summer, but did in CA.