best places to stay in Kihei, Maui

May 11th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Carol

best places to stay in Kihei, Maui

Could someone reccomend a nice place to stay in Kihei, Maui? Looking for something resonably priced but nice. Thanks!

May 11th, 2002, 09:23 PM
brian

alii kai $120/night for 2 bedroom condo might be less thru www.vrbo.com

May 12th, 2002, 05:09 PM
e

Mana Kai---great and inexpensive condo.

May 12th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Tammy

when we visited Maui we drove through kihei 3 times-I just didn't like it. Too congested and noisy and beaches not real great. I guess the advantage to staying in Kihei would be its closeness to the beaches of Wailea and some good inexpensive dining options.
We stayed in north Kanapaalli at the Shores condos and we liked it very much. Quiet, pretty grounds and we got a great rate with the entertainment rate.
good luck!

May 13th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Ken

If you are going to stay in Kihei I strongly suggest that you go to South kihei, not North Kihei. The beaches are much better and it is closer to the more upscale Wailea area.

May 13th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Maggi

We will be staying in South Kihei in September at this private rental: http://www.maui-coast.com/mywaii/mywaii.htm
It is at Kama'ole Beach I, just north of Wailea and was recommended in "Best Places to Kiss in Hawaii" as having great privacy, and right on the ocean with your own little strip of beach right in front. Maui Revealed says Kama'ole Beach I is "A real gem...a long and pretty stretch of fine sand with good swimming much of the time" and "very good snorkeling around the rocks bracketing each end."

May 13th, 2002, 06:46 AM
e

Maggie, you'll be happier at the Mana Kai, that I believe is right next door. Don't say you weren't warned. JMHO

May 13th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Maggi

Thanks for the "warning", but we really prefer private accomodations over a hotel or condo.

May 13th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Ken

Good decision Maggie. Don't take advice from someone who issues a "warning" with out giving a reason and doesn't give a name or e-mail address.

May 13th, 2002, 04:04 PM
joe

After staying in Kihei three times we decided to by a condo there.Since our investment was so great we did alot of research.
For all season beach and ocean use the area from South Kihei to Wailea and Makena gets the most points.Since we could not afford the kind of view we needed in Wailea we wnt for South Kihei.
Because of the isthmus between the two mountains of Maui, the water between Maalea and North Kihei is very shallow.The beaches above Kamaole I don't have the clarity and swimming pleasure of those to the south.
I admit that Kihei is not the most beautiful town on the island. However the beaches of Kamaole I,II, and III are world class.

May 13th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Brenda

I like the Maui Hill in So Kihei. It has 1,2,3 bedroom condos, nice tropical grounds, great large pool area, tennis courts, 9 hole putting green. Even the one bedroom condos have 2 full bathrooms, large lanais, tropical decor. Across the street from ocean. Very clean and well maintained. It is RCI Gold Crown, I believe.

May 14th, 2002, 08:57 AM
my2cents

Kihei is a great place to stay if you are on a budget and want a central location. We stayed at the Maui Coast Hotel and loved it. Nice hotel with sink, fridge, and coffee maker so we didn't have to bother going out for breakfast. Huge Rooms. Great pool area and lots of parking. We were right across the street from Kam II and loved it as it is an uncrowded beach and fun for boogie boarding. Of course that didn't stop us from going up to Kannapali Beach or Lihana (for dinner and shopping) or Waliea...or local Makena Beach. It was also was ideally located for exploring the crater and Iao valley...I would stay there again in a minute.

May 14th, 2002, 09:32 AM
e

Maggi, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were staying at the Maui Coast Hotel, NOT a private residence. If that is the case, I take back what I said and you should go for it, HOWEVER if it turns out it is the Maui Coast Hotel, I stand by my post that you will like the Mana Kai better. And Ken,because of spam, I don't post my email address for anyone. And I've posted the pros and cons of the Mana Kai on this forum many times, you can do a search check to see what I've said. But, in short, I believe the Mana Kai is the best condo decision for Kihei(location, grounds, views, restaurant,beach and price).

May 14th, 2002, 10:32 AM
joe

My guess is that "e" is probably an owner of a condo at Mana Kai.

May 14th, 2002, 10:47 AM
x

e dude, Maggie provided the web site of the private residence in Kihei just look it up. It's not the Maui Coast Hotel.

May 14th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Barbara

Carol, I agree with e that the Mana Kai is great. I wish I did own a condo there!

Maggi, I looked at your link and I think Mana Kai's better. I hope your "strip of beach" is actually beach. The property is described as "oceanfront" not "beachfront" As you have "Maui Revealed" you can also check out the beach that Mana Kai is on.

e, we Mana Kai fans really should stop recommending it, otherwise the prices might go up!

May 14th, 2002, 12:25 PM
virginia

Stayed at Kihei Surfside 2 yrs ago, got a good package deal for a 1BR with More Hawaii 4 less. It's a highrise curved so that all the lanais have great views. Loc. in South Kihei, right at the start of Wailea. Nice beach 100 yds away, but the wind blows from noon to 5 p.m. Not real fancy but clean, the views & location excellent.

May 14th, 2002, 12:40 PM
e

You guys are starting to piss me off. First, I do NOT own a condo at the Mana Kai(wished I did), and I apologize that I assumed that it was the Maui Coast Hotel(I thought it was an honest assumption). And Barb, you are right, I should quit touting the Mana Kai, let these people stay somewhere else and leave the MK for us. Aloha

May 14th, 2002, 01:04 PM
sue

Please excuse "e". I believe "e" has had a problem controlling his (her) anger with those who disagree with him (her) on other subjects as well as this one.

May 14th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Maggi

I didn't understand "e"'s reply until I noticed that mauicoast is part of the URL I gave for our rental, so it could be an honest mistake. At any rate, it's a matter of personal preference, but I hate staying in hotel-style accomodations, having to take the elevators, walk through lobbies and wade through people to get outside. Our little cottage has a beautiful expanse of lawn and a little sandy beach a few steps from Kama'ole Beach I. It sounds dreamy and was recommended in several Hawaii guides I read. So, it can't be too bad. The only drawback I can see so far is, no A/C. I don't know how much of a problem that will be at the end of September. Hoping for the ocean breezes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO