Reload this Page >

Best places to eat in Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:25 PM
Betty

Please give me your best and favorite places to eat in Naples. Also any other sight seeing and must to do while in Naples would be appreciated. Looking foward to our trip very soon. Betty

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:49 AM
WhichOne

Would that be Naples in Florida, Italy, Maine or New York????

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Patrick

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume Betty means Florida, as it would not as likely be New York or Maine, and if she meant Italy, she's on the wrong board. Since Naples, Florida is the second fastest growing city in the US (behind Las Vegas) and a very hot tourist destination, it is rather logical that it is the Naples she is asking about.
The best and trendiest are mainly on 5th Avenue South. Pazzo's (contemporary Italian), Chops (great aged steaks and grills and superb sushi), and Yabba (Caribbean and fresh seafood) are all owned by the same team and are three of the best, and my personal favorites. Zoe's (contemporary) and Mangrove Cafe (modern Carribean) are also very good. You can sit outside at Buon Gustaio which is as close to being in Rome as you will find in Florida. I'd forget about Annabelle's despite it's spectacular decor unless you like paying over $20 for a first course of gnocchi and getting three tiny pieces on your plate. I have yet to talk to a local who actually likes the place except for having drinks at the beautiful bar.
On Third Street South are Campiello's (Tuscan oven) and Tommy Bahama's super causual), both good and very popular. Syrah at Harbourtown is a newcomer than is excellent. North of town the new Aqua Grill in Waterside serves great seafood dishes. Roy's at Bonita Bay is excellent, and in the same complex is the brand new Opera, a sort of over the top elegant Italian dining experience that offers piano, violin, and arias most nights in a super setting. Avoid the seafood places on the water like Charlie's Crab, Kelley's Seafood, and Joe's Crab Shack. They are in my humble opinion tourist ripoffs that do a great business because the average visitor here wants to eat seafood on the water.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:02 PM
Paul

Dear Patrick,

Just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I enjoy reading about your suggestions in Naples. I loved your restaurant choices (above), but would differ with one point you made:

I would eat at Annabelle's, but would order ONLY the $32 Filet Mignon. It is wonderful, as is the décor (as you mentioned) and their wine list. DEFINATELY skip the salads and appetizers! Don't bother with the other entree's either (this language coming from a vegan!). Everyone around us was eating the filet and they seemed to know what to order. Annabelle's was also listed in last year's Esquire magazine as one of the top restaurants in the country. It is worth a look-see, as you mentioned.

{Just my humble opinion.}

Happy Trails,
Paul

PS - How was your trip "up north?"

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Patrick

Are you aware that when Esquire "voted" Annabelle's a top restaurant, it had not yet opened? It had been closed for over a year being rebuilt after a dismal failure the first time around. The rumor here is, and this could be false, that an editor of Esquire magazine is either a business partner or relative of the owner of Annabelle's. But in any case, who ever heard of a restaurant receiving such an accolade before it even opened?
I won't dispute the fact that their $32 filet may be wonderful. But with so many really good restaurants in the area, why would I go to a restaurant where you need to skip everything else? If they don't have good salads or appetizers and most of their other main courses are overpriced and miserable, who cares how good the filet is? Hard to imagine it could be any better than one of the fine aged ones at Chops, or Andre's, or Corks, or Preston's -- all of which also offer nice service, and good accompaniments to go with it.
I still say, if you want to see the decor, then stop in for a drink and go to a good restaurant for dinner.

Which trip up north? To Sarasota? Great!