Best places for overnighters on the road from San Francisco to LA

Notices

Old May 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I am researching a holiday for 2 weeks in September to the US, and plan on spending a week approximately travelling from SF to Yosemite and then driving down to LA via the coast.

I would love to visit some lovely towns, and also Hearst Castle.

I would love to know if there are many other attractions along the way, and also where you think the best places are to overnight on the way. Our budget is around $200USD a night or less.

I look forward to hearing from all you fodorites!!

Thanks in advance
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
dmlove

Not exactly sure what you're planning - are you thinking of driving from San Francisco to Yosemite, and then cutting back to the coast around Monterey? Or cutting back to the coast much farther south? (Yosemite, of course, is inland). If you plan on Yosemite-Monterey, then you have loads of options - Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Cambria, San Simeon, San Jluis Obispo, Santa Barbara, etc.

Old May 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM

If you are doing SF to Yosemite, consider such places at Sonora, Angels Camp or Jackson en route to Yosemeite...all in the historic Gold Rush area. There historic sites, wine tasting, river rafting and more available nearby.
And, as DMlove said, you have lots of options all the coast. My top picks would be Santa Barbara or Cambria. San Simeon Pines Motel at the far north end of Cambria was less than $200 last time a I checked and it right across the road from a state beach.
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both !

I had thought that we would drive to Yosemite and straight back out to the coast, maybe a little bit south of SF.

My current guide book on the US has very little written about this road trip which I was quite surprised about. Do you know if there is a great book about the Big Sur drive?

Thanks again
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM

The drive from Carmel South to Big Sur and Hearst Castle using route #1, doesn't actually take that long. I think its only about 90 miles. Be sure and visit the various California missions... San Juan Batista, Carmel, San Luis Obispo..its a very different slice of California history. The missions are all along Hwy #101, about 20 some odd miles apart. Many are in ruins, however.