Reload this Page >

Best place to view the Rockies from Littleton/Denver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Marie

I will be in Denver/Littleton for a couple days, and would like to drive to the mountains for a night, will not have alot of time to explore a night in the mountains with a few hours to explore that night and a few more the next day before back to Denver airport. HELP.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:23 AM
cl9

What exactly do you mean by explore?
Do you want a scenic drive; hiking; views?

You can hop on I-70 (west) and stop at any number of small towns just off the highway.

I'll try to think up some specifics

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Connie

Rocky Mountain National Park is just up the road. Estes Park would be a nice town to spend the night and have dinner in.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Lenleigh

From Littleton hop on C470 West until you get to I-70 and then head up into the mountains. I would suggest Breckenridge. It's about an hours drive,has a nice town and mountains surrounding it. If you don't want to head all the way into the mountains you could head west on C470 until you see signs for Morrison and get off at that exit. Morrison has a little town with shops and Red Rocks is really pretty and nice to walk around.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:44 PM
a

The eastern side of Denver is actually a better place to see the mountains, because of the angle you are looking at them from. From Littleton, you'll only see foothills.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Joolia

I live in Littleton and I'll have to agree with "a". I can't see the mountains from here, even though we are one of the most western spots in the Denver metro area.

Trying to figure out your time frame....are you driving up one evening, and will have the entire next day avaliable? Breckenridge and Estes Park are both good. Vail will take you about 3 hours. But what kinds of things are you looking to do?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Lenleigh

I also live in Littleton. I wouldn't say you can't see the mountains as you clearly can. I would agree however that you can't really admire them all that much from Littleton. The poster said she wants to spend a night in the mountains/early day, not a night in Littleton looking at them.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:47 AM
kima

Without more information from Marie, I would go with Lenleighs suggestion of Breck. Its a nice Mtn town not to far. About 1.5 hours or less from C-470 and 1-70. You can easily tour the town in one night. Since your pressed for time I would take the ski lift up and hike down. You will get the views but will not take very long.

If your traveling solo eat at the Brekenridge brewery, get a place at the bar and your bound to meet freindly folks.

For lodging thee are a couple of B&Bs right on main street. I would stay as close to main street as you can.

http://www.breckenridgebnbs.com/

It will take you about 2 hours to get to the airport from Breck.