Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in the Florida Keys?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:17 AM
Susan

Where is the best place to stay in the Florida Keys? Any and or all of the keys would be appreciated. This trip will be for my husbands 40th birthday.

Thank you

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:34 AM
xxxx

Little Palm Island

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:47 AM
x

do a Fodor search and you`ll find tons of info.....

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
Sue

Without a doubt...Little Palm Island off Little Torch Key. If money is no object (cuz it's VERY expensive), it is a small quiet, classy place with exceptional cuisine. We've been there four times..unfortunately they've priced themselves out of our $ range. Take a look at their web site.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:09 AM
J T Kirk

Not to be a naysayer, but: The ONLY problem with Little Palm is that it's TOO laidback. It's a hassle to get back and forth to civilization. Now, if you don't want civilizaton and really do want to get awy from it all THIS is the place. However, if you want to be in the "heart" of things, check out the Gardens and the Marquessa, both in Key West, and both very, very nice (small) hotels with attentive staffs.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:16 AM
x

You get back and forth by boat. Whats so tough about that. Besides, once your there you won't want to leave.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:38 PM
susan

Susan - there are lots of considerations when trying to decide where to stay. The upper keys are famous for snorkeling and diving, and Key West is better known for sunset celebrations, tourist activities, and great restaurants. Fortunately for me (and my bank account) Little Palm Island isn't necessarily a place I'd want to stay. Not only is it expensive - about a $1,000 a day - but it's also completely isolated. No newspapers, no telephones, no real connection with the outside world. For a news junkie like me, that'd be deadly!There are other places in the keys that'd provide lots of solace without the complete isolation and the expense. In Islamorada, the Moorings would be a great choice. In Key West, there are all sorts of accommodations depending on the kind of place you want to stay. Directly on the Gulf are the Ocean Key, the Hyatt and the Galleon. There are others, but those are my personal favorites. Away from the water are the Marquesa Hotel, the Heron House and the Gardens. All get wonderful reviews.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
can

The Cheeca Lodge on Islamorada - I haven't been there, but from the website it looks beautiful . . . pretty expensive though.