Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in Hocking Hills, Ohio area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to surprise my husband with a romantic weekend away in November, possibly Thanksgiving weekend. We live in Michigan but have been to most areas here. Looking to see someplace new. I have heard good things about the Glenlaurel Inn, the Inn at Honey Run, and The White Oak Inn.
Anyone have any suggestions as to which they would choose and why?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Glenlaurel is horrible. They are a very unethical business. My fiancee reserved their location for a wedding. Early on, we were very impressed. The facility is nice. But be warned. They are under new ownership. They are very unethical. They sent us a letter and attempted to more the double their prices after we already had quotes and a verbal agreement and had reserved the location. They also verbally harassed our caterer, among other things. I filed many complaints, including with the Better Business Bureau. I would highly recommend choosing a different establishment in the Hocking Hills.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:11 PM

jafarris33, my goodness, you must feel MUCH better after slamming this business about half a dozen times! Chalk this up to live & learn, take a deep breath and MOVE ON. Whenever a business changes hands, you run the risk of the new owners honoring or not honoring previous commitments. Be thankful you still have time to make new arrangements. A few years ago, I gave a big luncheon for my mom in Columbus. We considered a restaurant in New Albany that closed 2 weeks before our luncheon. Luckily, we had made other arrangements. Lesson learned, stuff happens. Move on!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM

We loved the Inn at Honey Run and enjoyed going all over the Holmes County Area and eating at many Amish and Mennonite Restaurants, as well as seeing the lovely countryside. The Inn has wonderful food too. A truly lovely place.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Try the Inn @ Cedar Falls, it is actually located in the Hocking Hills area. I will top my prior post, I was just there over XMas.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM

forget it and move on? huh? are you suggesting that this forum shouldn't be a place for people with really bad personal experiences to let others know about them. i'm not headed to ohio, but if i were, i'd thank jafarris for warning us about a place like that.

aliska, what's the point of having a forum like this if everyone is just to ignore and avoid posting about bad experiences they've had with an establishment?
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:09 AM

We're all probably a little late, this was posted back in September for a trip over Thanksgiving. Thx to Jaf for reviving an essentially dead post. I am all for sharing experiences good, bad or indifferent. However, I've run across this rant 3 times today already. Point taken.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM

I think he/she is entitled to the rant. It was their wedding being planned and the rates had been agreed upon.