Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in DC for sightseeing & nightlife?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Megs

Myself and 2 friends are planning to spend the May long weekend in D.C to do sight seeing and party at night. Where is the best area to stay for this? Stumbling distance to bars etc is a must. What is considered the best hotel in D.C. We want to stay at a deluxe hotel?

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Megs, I'm a big fan of the Dupont Circle area. Check www.quikbook.com for some possibilities but here are a couple more: Hilton Embassy Row, Radisson Barcelo and Westin Fairfax. Others will offer you more ideas on neighborhoods and hotels. Happy Contrails!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Kristin

Dupont is definitely the best suggestion. Depending on what kind of nightlife you're into, Adams Morgan or the U Street area may be more fun for you than Dupont itself, but Dupont is a walk or quick cab ride from all 3 areas. Stumbling distance from Adams Morgan is the Washington Hilton and a couple others on Connecticut Ave (I think one is a Sofitel??), but I would definitely recommend the Westin Fairfax (which just changed its name to Westin Embassy Row), just a block off Dupont Circle, or the Mayflower, a few blocks south of the circle, if you're looking for something elegant.

Another option is to stay at the Four Seasons in Georgetown - you're obviously close to Georgetown bars that way, but not as close to the other good nightlife areas, and there is no Metro in Georgetown, so you'd be taking more cabs.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:29 PM
crys

The Willard Intercontinental is one of the nicest hotels around. And there's some decent bars/restaurants nearby (although the hotter nightlife is in Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle).

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:32 AM
Ken

Nicest hotel in DC is the Jefferson, but not really stumbling distance. I would recommend the Westin Embassy Row or the Mayflower.