Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

best place to stay in Boston for a family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best place/location in Boston that is in the middle of everything for a few days stay in Boston? 2 adults, 4 kids/teens/young adults. Going to red sox games and seeing the city.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 06:16 AM

The Marriot Longwharf is about as good as it gets as far as location - next door to the Aquarium, a few blocks to Fanuel Hall, a few blocks to the north end (little Italy), a subway station very close by, and it overlooks the harbor.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 07:12 AM

It all depends how much you want to pay and what you want to do, but the most central hotels would be those right around the Common. This includes the Taj (which I think probably has the single best location), as well as the Four Seasons. Behind the Four Seasons and in marginally lesser locations would be the Park Plaza and Revere. From there, just expand in a circle and the distance from the Common will tell you how "central" you are.

That being said, Boston isn't terribly big and staying at Long Wharf, as recommended, is still a very viable option. Ditto for staying in a place like the Westin in the Back Bay.

For the most part, just make sure you are staying in Boston, or maybe certain parts of Cambridge. Avoid anything that is labeled something like "Boston-Newton" as this means the hotel is in the suburbs. Being near the T is helpful too, so worth looking at a map of the hotel's location.

If you give a budget, we can give more specific advice.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 08:21 AM

Nightly budget please - and also dates, which can change rates a lot.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 09:11 AM

http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/ affordable and they have suites if you are on a budget. More than three nights you can get an apartment rental. Back Bay, Beacon Hill or North end are my favs but it is all good really.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

great suggestions! We are going in July..the 17 through 20. Not sure yet of a budget..we are used to having 2 rooms for our family and I need to see the going rates. I expect them to be higher in Boston, in summer.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 06:24 PM

That is why am apartment might be better for you. Flipkey, home away or airbnb. Boston is pricey and you already spent a lot on tickets for the games.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 09:56 PM

I agree about long wharf. But Boston is very expensive- I think Marriott long wharf was 400ish for one room when we were there in July- and I just checked for you, midweek that week is showing at 499, 474 if you are AAA (like I said, veeeeery expensive. It's a very nice modern hotel but nothing terribly special except location).
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 03:04 AM

For me, the best location in near the Common, but many places with a radius of a few miles would work. We stayed at the Nine Zero across the street from the Common, and like it a lot.

I'm guessing price is going to be a big determinant for you. Centrally located hotels in Boston are crazy expensive. For two rooms in a nice hotel in a central location, you could end up spending $1000/nt, when you throw in the taxes.

You may want to start searching for apartments.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 07:12 AM

Bear in mind that Boston has been rated as the most expensive city in the U.S. for hotels. You are looking at $300 per night per room, at a minimum for anything in a decent location.

Right now for your dates, it looks like the "best value" would be the Eliot or either of the Aloft or Element in the Seaport. Both are a bit further than the best locations, but not terrible. Given you do have Fenway plans, the Eliot is probably the better location. Any of those three will run right around $300 per night, all in.

If you want something cheaper, some folks swear by the John Jeffries place mentioned above. Not sure about rates or quality, but it is a very good location. Or maybe airbnb or something similar.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 09:31 AM

We have liked the Boston Park Plaza hotel. They connected two rooms for us, so we had a 2 bdrm/2bath suite.

I suggest you call them and see what they can offer. If you can get a concierge level room, you have breakfast and a cocktail hour appetizers included. Both are served in the nice lounge room to which you have 24/7 access.

They have a junior suite for $347/night, with king bed and a sitting room with sofa (probably sofa bed, but not sure).

https://bostonparkplaza.reztrip.com/...de=&rate_code=

But, with 6 people, you'll have to call and ask. That could be too many people in one room.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 12:15 PM

I can't comment on the Park Plaza personally, but I have heard it is a bit dated and that some rooms can be small. Otherwise, I believe most people are happy enough with it. I will offer that it has an excellent location - basically as good as the Four Seasons.
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 03:04 PM

Are there really six of you? If so, look into an apartment to rent. Otherwise you're talking about 500-700+ nightly for two rooms in a hotel. Yeesh.

And Boston is really small. The city itself is physically less than 1/3 the size of New York and less than 1/4 the size of Dallas or Fort Worth (and not even 1/7 the size of Houston). Are you seeing "the city" or the area that includes the city?

Stay somewhere near one of the various Green Line routes - they all connect at Kenmore, which is three blocks from the rat-infested relic in which the semi-perennial last place baseball team plays and they all go to the center of town.
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 04:39 PM
cw

You'll love seeing games at Fenway Park and I can say that I've never seen a (four-footed) rat. If you stay in the Back Bay area, you can walk to Fenway in 15-20 minutes.

I don't know of any hotels that allow 6 in a room, so looking at vrbo or airbnb is a good idea. If you find something, I would check here before booking to get feedback on the location. There is a Marriott Residence Inn near Fenway and you could take a look at the Verb, next door to Fenway, but you would need two rooms. As mentioned above, Boston is compact so it is easy to sightsee by walking or taking a short ride on the T.
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 07:00 PM

Stay somewhere near one of the various Green Line routes

Just so we are all clear, nobody in Boston actually likes the Green Line. It is slow and crowded. I would not recommend anywhere much past Kenmore if the Green Line were my primary means of transport. Going from Cleveland Circle to Park Street, for example, would take 30 minutes plus, or as long as biking. Some place like Quincy would be faster than that.
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 06:47 AM

While it isn't in the center of things, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Bunker Hill, and my kids loved it. Primarily for its fantastic pool /indoor sports court/ games/ pool movies area. Its a kids heaven, with a basketball court, foosball, rock climbing wall, ice hockey table, pool table, and more. The pool showed movies on a big screen every night during the summer, as well, so it was a huge hangout for my tweens to meet other kids. And it was a bargain compared to other Boston prices. There's a free shuttle to wherever you ask to go, and while you can arrange for it to pick you up and bring you back to the hotel, that wasn't as fast so after the first time of waiting too long, we just uber-ed it back for $5-10 each night.