Best Place to Retire in California.

Old May 29th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Mike

Best Place to Retire in California.

Actually, my wife will still work so we can't be too far off the beaten track. We'd like to get a town house in a friendly community where one can get to know people. It should be moderate cost and have a good library, plenty of coffee shops and preferably a branch of Borders or Barnes and Noble. We'd love a place like Laguana, but alas, that's too expensive.

Old May 29th, 2000, 01:44 PM
mzi

Maybe you could narrow it down little more Mike? Coastal area, mountain area, valley, desert? California has all of the above and more. Northern, Southern or Central Cal, or does it matter? Price range for homes or land? Does proximity to shopping, hospitals, etc concern you or are willing to drive a ways in order to live in the country?

California is so huge that I think you may get some more detailed answers if you can give us more of your preferences. Where do you live now?

Old May 29th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Mike

Good points. The coastal area, just inland was where we were thinking of. South of LA or to the north of LA if it's withing our price range. The proximity to LA doesn't really matter. It's just that we've visited those areas and liked them. Perhaps $200,000 for a two bed town house - we don't want land to garden! We also don't want a rural area. At present we live in Westchester County, New York. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Old May 29th, 2000, 03:38 PM
michele

Mike,

My parents moved to the Laguna area about five years ago from Fairfield County, Ct. The prices are pretty comparable. They have a town house with a small yard near, but not on, the beach and I think they paid in the mid-threes for it. I doubt there is much in the two range. I imagine the Orange County Register has an online site. You could check there for prices. You also might want to look into Ventura County.

Good luck!
Michele

Good luck

Old May 29th, 2000, 04:11 PM
michele

Mike,
Michele again..I just thought of something ( actually my husband did, but I'll claim the credit anyway). Try Monarch Bay Condos in Dana Point. Dana Point is near Laguna geographically , but not in the same price range. It's a lovely beach town with the requisite number of hip places to sip espresso, etc. Monarch Bay advertises their condos in the 200-300 range and they are attractive from the outside.(I've never been inside). Friends of my sister's bought one a few years ago and are quite happy. They planned to use it as a weekend place and liked it so much they moved to Dana Point permanently.

Hope that helps.