Best place to eat in San Luis Obispo, CA

Jul 16th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Best place to eat in San Luis Obispo, CA

We are staying in Pismo, but might drive to SLO for dinner, since we should have some extra time. Am thinking there is more selection there? So, any places you would suggest? We love most stuff. We have 2 teens with us who will not eat seafood. So, we usually need a place with variety. Ideas? Faves? Haunts? Thanks, all.
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:53 PM

I would not eat Seafood there either. Doesen't SLO have a nuclear power plant that dumps it's wastewater into the ocean?
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM

I wouldn't normally recommend a chain restaurant, but Hobee's is pretty great.

If you really have some time and want to try something special, the Hamlet at Moonstone Gardens is nice for lunch and for dinner. Over the summer they're having live jazz music, too. During the day you can have your meal in the garden and can sometimes see wild animals from the Hearst Castle grounds. For dinner you watch the sunset from the dining room. It's on Hwy 1, on the right side of the road if you're traveling north, between San Simeon and Cambria. Worth the trip.
Jul 16th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Yes there is a nuclear power plant just outside of SLO. The plant get its cooling water out of the ocean, which later gets returned to the ocean. This water it not contaminated when it is returned to the ocean - or at least no more contaminated that when it got sucked into the plant's cooling water system in the first place. The water never enters the reactor, nor does it mix with the water that has been inside the reactor.

So, no worries about eating seafood near SLO due to the nuclear power plant.

For restaurants in SLO, I have been to a couple. There is a mexican place called Tortilla Flats downtown on Nipomo that was pretty good. There is also a BBQ place on one of the main streets downtown that was also good - can't remember the name, but it was pretty popular. I'm sure someone else will know.
Jul 16th, 2004, 03:12 PM

The Madonna Inn. You just might lose your teens to the bathrooms downstairs!

And I don't mean anything bad by that!
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Does the MADONNA INN have good food?
Jul 19th, 2004, 09:28 AM

We ate at the steakhouse in the Madonna Innand thought it was excellent. The entrees were great and the cakes for dessert were delicious.
Jul 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Lots of good places in SLO and general area. Madonna Inn is sometimes good, sometimes average, always a bit entertaining with the pink and gilt decor. 1865 is a favorite, on Monterey st at the north edge of town. Mo's BBQ downtown is excellent. If you head south from Pismo on hwy 1, you come to the little town of Guadalupe, and the Far Western Tavern (sort of an "anti-Madonna Inn"), a favorite of mine.