Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Place in Colorado for Hiking, Snowshoeing & Wildlife in March

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a family vacation for 5 days in Colorado for Spring Break and would like to know the best area where we could expect cold temps and hopefully at least snow still on the ground the week of March 9-13, 2014. Have looked into Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) area as well as Durango area. Our requirements are a condo or cabin with a mountain view, abundant wildlife viewing, hiking and snowshoeing opportunities. Not really going to snow-ski, so haven't concentrated on any ski resort areas. Pond hockey skating opportunities for my son would be a plus! We will be flying in from DFW.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Hiking isn't likely at that time of year - snow will be on the ground in all likelihood.

Durango area and Wolf Creek are 2 good areas for snow shoeing. Even though you aren't wanting to ski, a ski area has lots of other activities and amenities like restaurants etc.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 01:16 PM

You can fly into Durango [or Albquerque] and drive.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 01:42 PM

March is the time for skiing or snowshoeing in the places you mention. I wouldn't expect that much wildlife or hiking.

The main road across Rocky Mountain National Park will be closed.

Your about 3 months to early for what I think you have in mind. You can expect to find snow on the ground in July and August in Rocky Mountain National Park at the higher elevations.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 04:40 PM

I agree with Debit about staying near a ski area. Look at Summit County.

I like the Breckenridge Nordic Center for snowshoeing. http://www.breckenridgenordic.com/

Keystone has a tubing hill.

Glenwood Springs, an overnight or day trip from Summit County, for a soak in the hot springs is an interesting winter experience.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 07:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There could be quite a bit of hiking opportunities in the lower elevations of RMNP in March. Depends upon recent weather, but the Hallowell Park, Cub Lake, or Lumpy Ridge areas can all be hikable then. You could also walk the closed sections of Fall River or Trail Ridge roads. Some YakTrax or similar traction device might come in handy, as well as hiking poles.

Excellent snowshoeing in the higher elevation trailheads of Bear Lake, Glacier Gorge, Wild Basin or Longs Peak will be available.

Viewing herds of elk and deer is virtually guaranteed, with sightings of bighorn sheep, coyotes and other critters possible to likely.

Have a great trip whatever destination you decide on.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 03:33 AM

That's pretty much prime skiing time. There will be snow on the ground at least in the high country. If you want skating there may be some at some ski resorts. I don't know if there is skating at Lake Dillon near Frisco/Keystone, but there is usually snow on the ice there, I think (looking from afar).
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 05:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Train or bus to Glenwood Springs. Then use the RFTA bus to Aspen. http://www.rfta.com/
The world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool is in Glenwood Springs. How much snowshoeing experience do you have?
I'll be doing my snowshoeing in Oregon this winter.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 08:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Not quite pond skating, but the town of Estes Park and the YMCA of the Rockies outside of Estes both have ice skating rinks.
http://rockymountainnationalpark.com...er/ice-skating

On rare occasion I've seen people ice skating on Bear Lake, so that is possible depending on conditions. I'm not a skater so don't pay attention to often the conditions are good / right.

The YMCA of the Rockies is a good place to stay, by the way.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 08:52 AM

Yes, that would be a good base for anyone not looking to ski.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Pretty sure Fall River Road inside the park is closed at least through 2014 to vehicles (meaning no parking at the trailheads) and
"it has not yet been determined whether hikers and bicyclists will be allowed on the road next year."
http://www.reporterherald.com/news/c...in-closed-2014

Still plenty to do in the park, though.