Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Pizza in the World is in Boston Anyone Agree (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-pizza-in-the-world-is-in-boston-anyone-agree-702780/)

hoopstraveler15 May 5th, 2007 04:42 PM

Best Pizza in the World is in Boston Anyone Agree

Boston has the worlds best pizza. Better then Italy, Chicago or even NYC. Beantowns got Reginas, Santarpios, Upper Crust, Pinnochios and Emmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

KathyK May 5th, 2007 05:09 PM

I have never had Boston pizza, but I have had pizza in Chicago and NYC and you may find this hard to believe, but pizza in Buffalo NY is better than Chicago and NYC. So maybe Buffalo has the world's best pizza.

MikePinTucson May 5th, 2007 05:10 PM

You probably have never even been outside Mass, right? 'Cause you don't KNOW pizza.

TKT May 5th, 2007 05:44 PM

Boston has a small number of very good places, but not nearlly the variety and quality of NYC or Chicago.

MikePinTucson May 5th, 2007 06:09 PM

I would have to agree with TKT, even though I am not a huge fan of Chicago deep dish pizza. It really is a matter of taste. I was born and raised in RI and have had pizza all through New England and New York. I was also stationed in Illinois while I was in the USAF and have sampled many of Chi-Town's finest.

There certainly is great pizza in places you might not expect. Tucson has a couple of very good NY-style places. and my very favorite Italian restaurant is owned and run by a Sicilian family. they also serve piza. And can you get more authentic than that?

NeoPatrick May 5th, 2007 08:11 PM

I always have to smile at these posts where people get defensive about regional foods. If a wonderful pizza maker from Naples, Italy settles in New York, or Chicago, or Boston, do you think his pizzas would be totally different depending on which city he ended up in? If he moved to New York, his pizzas could be wonderful -- but if he moved to Chicago, they just wouldn't be so good?
And do you really think all pizzas in Chicago are alike? Or Boston? Or Rome for that matter?

TxTravelPro May 6th, 2007 09:55 AM

I find the "Ours is better than yours" arguments very annoying. I just don't understand it.
I know people say the bagels in NYC are the best, but I prefer softer bagels (less chewy) so to me they are not the best.
I like very crispy, thin pizza with just a little cheese, so I am not a fan Chicago or most NY pizzas. I love most Tex-Mex and Mexican foods but I do not care for some of the Southwestern foods. I love smoked Brisket but dislike the same cut of meat boiled (or braised) like they do in the NE.
Thank God I live somewhere with so many choices and the right to have my own opinion.
So, I really don't care if you think the best Pizza is in Boston. If that is a source of pride to you, fine.
I may discover the best pizza is in San Francisco, Jackson Hole or Brownsville, Texas. The best burger is the burger ready when I am starving.
The best steak is in my sisters backyard.
Really what does it matter?

Andrew May 6th, 2007 10:14 AM

Sorry, the best pizza in the world is probably not in Boston (yes, I have had the pizza there). There is no "best pizza in the world" because everyone disagrees about what "good pizza" is. Some people like NY style, some thick crust. It's like saying "the best color in the world is in Boston." Pretty meaningless.

BTilke May 6th, 2007 10:22 AM

The OP is from Denver and back in October, moaned that the pizza there stinks. So I guess Boston is just a better pizza match for him/her.

LLindaC May 6th, 2007 11:47 AM

The best pizza I've ever had was in Switzerland! Close to the Italian border.

NeoPatrick May 6th, 2007 11:50 AM

"Sorry, the best pizza in the world is probably not in Boston (yes, I have had the pizza there)."

Wow. There must be thousands of pizza places in Boston -- all serving variations. It must have kept you busy to sample all of them -- or did you just have pizza at one or two places and assume that all Boston pizza is alike?

TxTravelPro -- you have said exactly what I was trying to say.

NewbE May 6th, 2007 02:32 PM

Agree with Tx and Neo, and besides: wouldn't it be more useful, for a travel board, to list places in the US (since this the US board) with great pizza and leave it at that?

I'll start:
New Haven, CT

CAPH52 May 6th, 2007 03:46 PM

How could anyone possibly claim to know the best pizza in the world considering that what one person thinks is good pizza is not at all what another person thinks is good pizza? Some people like thin crust cut in squares, others think cutting a pizza in squares is sacrilage. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

wliwl May 6th, 2007 04:14 PM

When we lived in Belmont (just outside Boston) there were a couple of Greek places that made our favorite pizza ever. Thin crust, greasy, mmmm it was good.

fmpden May 6th, 2007 04:38 PM

Interesting that the OP is from Denver and is complaining about the pizza. Personally think there are some very good places in Denver -- at least equal to my experiences in Chicago and a couple of other named places. But best is always relative !!! My preference is for the thin crust closed to southern Italian style pizza. And there are a couple great places in Denver.

Pausanias May 6th, 2007 05:19 PM

Truth is, Regina's -- at least the original on North Margin -- made some pretty righteous pies in its day. I was there three or four years ago and they were still up to snuff, provided you stuck to the classics.

cabovacation May 6th, 2007 05:40 PM

OK....but overall is there any place on earth with better bar food than Buffalo: pizza, wings, beef on weck, sausage, hot dogs... All in one weird little city? How could you guys get so lucky?

j_999_9 May 6th, 2007 06:32 PM

Won't argue about where the "best" pizza is, but locale does make a difference. Water quality, humidity, elevation and other location factors have an effect on the type and quality of the crust.

starrsville May 6th, 2007 06:36 PM

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

LLindaC May 6th, 2007 07:19 PM

yeah....well Buffalo may be all that in the culinary department, but don't forget what they experienced in the worst weather category this year, lol! My next door neighbor is from Buffalo, and he's fine with living further south!